Crank Seals???

Got questions? We got answers....
KDXSean
Gold Member
Gold Member

Crank Seals???

Post by KDXSean »

Got a little puddle of black oil in the bottom of the left hand side cover. Pretty sure I know what this means........

Someone tell me I don't have to split the cases..... :sad:
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

you dont have to split em,just pack up the engine and send it to me :lol:

but seriously u might have a little work ahead of ya.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

If it were my bike and there was no indication of a lean condition i.e. no high idle, or lean surge and the bike still started like it always has. I would spray down the stator, backing plate and seal area with WD-40 and blow it off with compressed air. (I would also attempt to move the crankend up-down and in-out to see if there was any decernable play. Assuming there was none ...)

I would go on a ride for an hour or two and then recheck the area. Leaks on the left seal would not normally leak outward into the stator area. You would have to have the seal pretty well totally shot to have fuel residue in the stator case. However, condensation, creek crossings, and pressure washing and enough time between pulling the cover can have a little crud appearing in this area.

Don't run it until it blows but at the same time don't pull down the engine for a seal replacement if your not certain it is a seal that needs replacing.

just my .02
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If the seal is bad, you will have to split the cases. There is no way to replace the KDX crank seals from the outside.