Rear linkage service

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

The bearings in my swingarm had the pins that came out of the cage (like the pivotworks) but it was not two longer bearings. It was 4 short bearings like the OEM ones.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't presume all kits from PivotWorks to be all the same all the time. I would think it a 100% probability that some pieces/parts/things change in 'em from time to time.

Knowing they have supplied a certain type of bearing in the past (not pinned, not caged, not retained) would be good to know..particularly if you don't want to fuss with a whole lot of little pins fallout out of the outer race/shell.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Lemmy wrote-

"Wish I had known about PivotWorks before I replaced almost every bearing on my bike with the OEM stuff. They are significantly cheaper. Is their stuff as good as OEM?"

I say no. At least not in my experience.

For some bearings you can go to your local bearing supplier and get good stuff, a bit cheaper.

I prefer to just buy OEM, from my very competent local bike shop, but I AM filthy rich :lol:

The other thing I do on sealed bearings like in the rear wheel is pop the seals out and pack more grease in and push the seals back in. As purchased it looks like the bearing has grease loading for a high speed application. My rear wheel don't spin very fast, considering...
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

Got the shock/linkage/swing arm all greased with bell-ray waterproof and back together. I then noticed that the online manual recommended using molybdenum disulfide grease. I am a little curious as to why they would recommend this, yet it seems that nobody uses it?????
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

MolyD grease used to be recommended by a lot of folks for a lot of things. I don't see that rec so much any more. I don't know how 'updated' the online manual is.

Somewhere in the KDX manual I'm sure it says you should keep maintenance records on your PC XT, too!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote: I'm surprised you didn't ask...but BelRay waterproof grease (generally around $5 or so a tub at bike shops) does a good job on suspension and steering bearings. I've had better luck with it than with some very high $$ synthetic stuff I bought. I suppose it's the 'waterproof' part, but don't know for sure.
I used the Bel Ray stuff on the front wheel bearings and steering bearings. That stuff is way more water proof than the synthetic stuff I used on the suspension linkage and swingarm. I got some on my hands and it wouldn't wash off with soap and water. Most other greases come off pretty easily. Can't beat the price either.