Av100

Got questions? We got answers....
RBD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RBD »

Hi all,

I thought this would be of some interest to some of you.

In past years I have used LL100 (av gas) in a witches brew, and I know a lot of people that have used it too.

One of my long time customers/engine builder, had some friends that mixed up some pre-mix using av gas. They used it in two different bikes, one a Banshee and the other a CR 250R and both bikes blew up, holed the pistons.

They ended up checking the pre-mix and poured one gal of the av gas into a clear container and put in the proper amount of pre-mix oil, then shook the hell out of it.

Less than 4 hours later the pre-mix oil was at the bottom of the of the container. Then they looked in the float bowls and the pre-mix was at the bottom of the bowls, it had separated from the av gas.

I do not know for sure, but I think they have changed the LL100 formula and it does not seem to mix with oil. The people at the air port will not comment on this....

Just thought I would mention this.

Ron
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

That's good info. At least their float bowls were well lubricated. :blink:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's odd due to allot of aircraft engines are 2 stroke motors correct?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder what kind of oil they used, I always shake my bike before starting hopfully that will save it
GS

Post by GS »

Few if any aircraft engines are 2 smokes......unless you're referring to ultra light aircraft of around 65 hp, or less.

100LL (AvGas) is pretty hefty on lead content FWIW.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
GS wrote: 100LL (AvGas) is pretty hefty on lead content FWIW.
Well...that just can't be!!! ..the 'LL' part being 'Low Lead'.

:wink:

That's interesting..the oil separation part. I'm sure it would all be better if you added some nitromethane. Say, 1/2oz. in 10 gallons. :rolleyes:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well, that sucks. Some acetone may help, but not worth it anymore. Thanks for the tip/warning RBD!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Well I decided to do my own experiment I used three different mixes all at 40-1 one mix was av100ll the second was half av100ll half premium pump gas Arco the third was premium pump gas from Arco all three were 40-1 Golden Spectro I am a believer in this stuff and will not run any thing else, power valves are always good and clean when I tear her down. I let all three mixes set for 5 hours I can see no separation at all. I would have to wonder what they were using for premix, maybe Bellray? Any way I am going to keep running the av100ll. I am also a firm believer in shaking my bike before kicking always have. I will let this mix sit for 2 or 3 hours more but I doubt its going to change, none of them have. :supz:
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Let mixes sit overnight still no seperation at all in any of the three mixes, RBD what kind of oil did those guys use really got me wondering,
thanks Island220.
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

I can not imagine that the AV gas would be changed or any different then what I am using they have way to many regs on AV gas to start changing there mix :shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'd forgotten about this. Under the heading of FWIW....

Posted: Thinking about using gas from airport.
R.Rohrich wrote:Unless your bike is knocking BADLY there isn't any power to be had, and the throttle response will likely be about the same or worse unless you are running a high alcohol percentage pump fuel. The upside is the AvGas will likely be more consistent and easier to jet, but from a pure performance standpoint it's of no real value.
From HERE!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!