Av100

Post by island220 »

Has any one tried using this fuel instead of racing gas,
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I smell a can-o-worms!!!

Best do some research on that one. By and large, you will find that the whole aviation fuel use idea is not too hot'a thought.

Airplane fuel has a distillation curve and vaporization index that keeps it from disappearing at thousands of feet of altitude..with the temperatures that go with that distance up in the air.

Is that where you ride?

Other than its consistency, what do you propose to gain from running race fuel anyway?

A fuel with a high octane number that your engine can't use due to its design isn't going to accomplish diddle.

...if a high RON/MON is what you're thinking of.

You're not going to hurt anything with it. Try a tank or two. If you like it..if it works for you...use it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

There is a few reasons I am thinking about this fuel, Two year shelf life, fewer additives, hard to say what the local station adds on there own. I live on an island where regular fuel cost 3.60$ a gallon for reg,when I go to mainland I can get gas at the res for 2.69$ a gallon so I fill my rig 27gallons and all the gas cans 25 gallons this helps offset ferry fares and some grocery money or bike parts, and 5 gallons of premium for bike now that son is at the UW I dont go through that 5 gallons as fast as I used to. Not really looking for higher octane just somthing that might burn cleaner, I have heard that race fuel burns cleaner with less spoge and considering RB mod to head
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I have used AV100.
Bike runs about the same as with 93 but the jetting is different
and I am not always around an airport where I can get it.
I liked adding toluene cause you can notice the difference
and seems like less spoo, more like a black powder.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm a toluene fan myself. I love that stuff! Even at 5% it makes a difference that's easy to feel.

Race fuel can be a requirement if you ask Ron to configure it for that. I don't doubt that most pump gas is who-the-hell-knows-what..and race gas is more consistent.

If you haven't tried an additive like toluene, you might give it a shot. You can get it by the gallon at most any paint store.

Don't call on the phone to ask if they have it. They will probably tell you they don't. It's used in making up making up some drug cocktails. If you show up looking like a regular guy, happen to mention you're putting it in your dirtbike, it won't be a problem.

Consider the source

island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Thanks for the tip on Toluene, bought some av100 in town yesterday running 40-1 Gold Spectro going to try it out today,the av100 cost 4.50 a gallon, race fuel was 8.50 at bike shop. Next trip to mainland might pick up some Toluene and give it a shot, how much does it run a gallon.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Last time I bought it at Sherwin Williams it was about 18 bucks or so.
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Tried the av gas today, rode about 10 or 15 minutes adjusted air screw and idle went back out and rode for about 2 hours, the bike had way better response, and ran alot cleaner looped it once,wasnt really expecting the front end to come up so fast coming out of a tight corner ended up in the brush, took awhile to get used to the instant response, pulled plug after ride best it ever looked and hardly any smoke and it smells better. Have a Harescramble on the 28 :supz:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Well there you go.

There is an old thread I dug up. Thre is a poor mans race fuel formula in there that works well. Have head cut for it, and you'll be happy.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Interesting, going to stick with av100 really like to keep things as simple as possible plus at 4.50 a gallon av seems pretty cheap, good bang for the buck thanks for the info fuzzy.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Toluene, at 5% (one quart to five gallons) is less expensive than it seems when you BUY it ($20gal-some here).

Xylene's cheaper..but has quite a different volatility rating.

Experiment. What you don't know may be something you like!

I tried 32:1, didn't care for it at all. 36:1, with alcohol free 92, toluene and Trick 114 at 2.5% is quite a concoction...but it sure is fun!!!

So...maybe it's all in my head? Who cares!! My bike runs better, I like it so :butthead:

:wink:

Consider the source

island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Some of the fumes could be, :rolleyes: I might try brewing some up later in the year got a couple races coming up and pretty busy at work lately, would hate to have a melt down and she is getting close to rebuild time. Really into the KISS method when it comes to fuels, some of the results sound impressive.
john316

Post by john316 »

I have always used 93 octane; the guy I usually ride with uses AV100 with 89 octane at a 50/50 mix. He finally convinced me to try his mixture. I noticed a significant increase in power. After 1 lap on the NETRA loop at CATRA, I was able to consistently ride 1 gear higher. I am going to continue using the AV100 mix.
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

ok im gonna steer a little of topic now.

commercial octane boosters,good?bad?

and whats this toluene stuff?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

HERE'S a place to start.

Lots of information (some of it incorrect) on the web. F1 cars used to run a fuel that was something like 80% toluene.

Consider the source

r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

wow alot of good info on toluene ty cc

i also did some checking and it seems a splash of nitromethane could be beneficial too.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

1. Did'ja know..nitromethane has less than 1/3 the energy content of gasoline per weight unit? Does that sound like a good thing?

B. Methinks you checked someplace that has no clue as to what it's talking about.
Kennedy's DynoTune wrote:
Nitromethane as a fuel additive.

We are sometimes asked about adding nitro to gasoline or methanol. This is possible and it has been done successfully. However, there are a number of problems that make this impractical. These include the corrosive nature of the combustion gasses after nitromethane is burned. This process produces large amounts of nitric acid, which is not only corrosive but toxic. To prevent serious corrosion, a thorough flushing of the fuel system and motor is necessary after use. While it burns slowly, there is also the danger of explosion when nitro is used. Another issue is solubility. If you are running methanol, there is no problem as nitromethane and methanol mix freely. But nitro does not mix easily with gasoline. So, if a nitro/gas mixture is desired additional chemicals must be added to prevent separation.
Does any of that sound like a good thing to mess with to you?

Read a few more facts about it here.

My point: There are TONS of 'ideas' you can find that are, frankly, not worth squat.

You can get miracle mileage by strapping some kind'a magnet on your fuel line, for example.

Did you hear about the carburetor that gets over 200mpg in a 4,000# car...on water!!??

etc etc....

Am I a fuel chemist? Nope. Am I a fuel alchemist? Nope. I'm saying I don't know much of anything about it.

I DO know that most folks' great ideas are hogwash, and most folks that HAVE those great ideas think they are the best thing since sex was invented.

That's unlikley. Impossible? No, but highly unlikely.

BTW...toluene has MORE power per unit than gasoline....not LESS.

Consider the source

r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

im no industrial chemist either just throwing ideas out.

if your running methenol it may be beneficial.

14.6 kg of air is required to burn one kilogram of gasoline, but only 1.7 kg of air for one kilogram of nitromethane. Since an engine’s cylinder can only contain a limited amount of air on each stroke, 8.7 times more nitromethane than gasoline can be burned in one stroke. Nitromethane, however, has a lower energy density: Gasoline provides about 42–44 MJ/kg whereas nitromethane provides only 11.3 MJ/kg. This analysis indicates that nitromethane generates about 2.3 times the power of gasoline when combined with a given amount of oxygen.

just ideas cc,good to get opinions and ideas from the other side of the pond.

and i told wiki that they were very wrong too! lol
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You read the link I embedded?

Burning nitromethane creates nitric acid. That's bad.

How do you plan on getting 8.7 times the nitro over gasoline into the engine?

It doesn't mix well with gasoline..so adding it TO gasoline isn't going to go well.

A 500cu.in. KB motor can make 8000hp on fuel.

That does NOT relate to anything having to do with adding nitromethane to gasoline...in an engine jetted FOR gasoline.

Yeah...I said 'motor'. So shoot me.

Consider the source

r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

did read it yes "If you are running methanol, there is no problem as nitromethane and methanol mix freely."

so methanol and nitromethane good!

i didnt say a splash of nitromethane in regular gas good!