Checking out a 1990 KDX with high mileage

Got questions? We got answers....
motoverte

Checking out a 1990 KDX with high mileage

Post by motoverte »

Hi

I have a thing about older KDX's, 89-94 model that is.

I found a 1990, in great shape, looks like it hardly went offroad.
However the current owner says it has about 7000 miles on it .
Apparently this bike was dualsported and had a speedometer, not sure,
but then it broke down but owner (2d) says bike totals about 7k miles since purchased new by 1st owner .

Isn't that a bit high for such a bike ? It was used mainly on country side backroads and double tracks I guess. The current owner uses it for farming, he hardly rides it he says.

I am not looking for a tip top bike ready to race , it's just to play around but I don't like to ride beat up bikes. My experience tells me this particular bike I am looking at (in pictures) won't need a lot of repairs as far as the chassis is concerned (bearings etc.) my concern is the engine since it's been used on the road. Owner says it runs great (like new, but I don't believe it). From buying a new KX 125 in 94, I know these bikes engine if not maintained professionally (as per the manual) lose power after a few years.
Can you make the engine like new (i.e. running and sounding like new) at a reasonable cost (no more than the price of the bike itself , $1000 labor incl.) .
From the noise some of these KDX make on Youtube, I can tell they would need a lot of work.

Also since 1990 was only the second production year for that model, is there anything to look for as far as factory issues ?

Thanks a bunch for any info you contribute.

Piston was changed once
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Wow... you really don't know much about KDXs. Put a topend on it ($200) Replace the rear wheel, swingarm and steering head bearings and grease real well, service the suspension and jet it... should be good to go.

To assume a 20 year old bike won't need bearings is a mistake... Ma Kaw didn't do much in the form of lubricating the bearings from the factory and if was bought by some who did not know this and simply rode the bike... I can almost guarantee it will need bearings.

The noise is a properly working KIPS. Nothing wrong with that and that is what people don't like about a KDX when they don't know anything about them.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

Moto
Before you put a topend in it do a compression test, if your in between 119-185 PSI then you could ride it a while. My 93 had over 3,700 miles on it and 159 PSI compression, don't know its history. Been riding it for a couple years.
Yes I emphatically agree with Inda on the bearings, all my bearings were way past shot. Only the stearing head had any life left in it and there was hardly any grease in there.
To my knowledge there are not any chronic issues other than the KIPS valves are more susceptible to carbon buildup and weak compared to the 95 and up motors. I'd check that they rotate freely and choose a good synthetic premix (I've been using Mobile 1 but it is no longer available) that will keep the build up at bay. Oh I'm sure Inda can recommend a good premix.
Your gonna love that bike. Focus on the suspension first :supz:
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

Totally depends on the price. You sort of implied that the guy wants $1000 for it, which IMO is *way* too much for a 20 year old dirtbike when you consider that you can probably get one that's only 4-5 years old for about the same money. (Ref: I bought an '06 for $1400 earlier this year and put mebbe $200 of mandatory parts on- chain, sprockets, bearings.)

I hear you regarding the old bikes, but don't get taken for a ride your own self.
motoverte

Post by motoverte »

Yeah I know, but I didn't mention I am in Europe and they go for that price here, but in Euros ! So 1400 bucks, it's the usual price. They cost more than eur 4000 new which was upward of $5600.
You can get 95-98 models for 1200-1500 but those were more often raced, a lot of the E series were used by kids riding around town with some trail riding.
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... ost8211052

I would answer, but I did already.

-Erik