ok i made a big mistake

Got questions? We got answers....
r1inoz

ok i made a big mistake

Post by r1inoz »

ok ill show u the pics first then explain myself

ok i made the mistake of not fully checking the bore and pistons and found that the piston was melted slightly and toltally ummmm screwed.
the sleeve in the bore has actually spun around some 5 mm.

now some questions..
the dents in the head,are they gonna worry the bike when it all goes back together,theres no loose burrs or anything its just parts of the ring im guessing that have dented it.

is it possible to get the sleeve pressed out then repressed in correctly.

this bike origannaly came with the auto oiler but has been disconnected,can i remove the whole unit and if so whats to be done with the second cable on the accelerator cable.

again ive kicked my own ass this arvo for not being thorough.

thanks

mr going to check everything from now on :oops:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've run heads like that with no apparent problem.

I can't comment on the sleeve.

On the auto oiler - I would leave it in place but disconnect the cable. It'll send a small amount of oil at all times. Run pre-mix in the gas tank.

Pretty rough looking in there! Sure you don't want to try to pick up a different cylinder?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

i do run premix in it yes,it was disconnected when i bought the bike.

its actually not as bad as is looks,my main concern is what caused the sleeve to spin in the first place or was it pressed in out of whack.

the head i didn't think was a concern but i just emailed Rb tonight about the head work u guys rave about.it looks awesome what he does.

:supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'..what caused the sleeve to spin in the first place...'

Put together wrong.

Ron's work is great. It's also completely off to send him a banged up head and expect everything to work out fine with it.

Maybe it would...maybe it wouldn't. I wouldn't expect him to ante up for that responsibility. He'll answer for himself. Quite possibly it would come back looking perfectly brandy new. Most of the dings I see are in the squish..and he changes that band.

No reason the sleeve can't be replaced...as long as the cylinder itself isn't damaged...cracked webbing and the like.

I don't suppose I'd have the same outfit do it the second time....not even if they offered to do it up free.

Sorry to hear 'bout the poor luck.

Where is the 'mistake' part of this? I don't suppose it was 5mm off when you bolted it together..........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

the mistake was i didnt check everything over thoroughly cc,so a mistake on my behalf.

ron did email me back and suggested i get a new or second hand head.i seen on his website that they did repairs so i wasnt sure if my head qualified as a repair job.i will try and source a second hand one.

im not sure cc who did it the first time but i talked to a few ppl who recommended a few places.

thinkin it might be worth it to completely strip the bike and start again,who knows what else isnt right inside there.

thanks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

He can't possibly know what shape the head is in right now. By the time you ship it to him, you could have bought another one that didn't have 'issues'.

Most people dont take the cylinder off the bike they are buying to check it out. Taking the head off might not be a bad idea if you have any reason to think something is amiss.

So...you think the sleeve was tweaked when you got it?

There's not a lot of room in the cylinder where there are no holes somewhere in the stroke. That's why the rings are pinned..so they won't move to a place where there IS a hole. Like you found out..that tends to break 'em.

Something that would fit the description of 'major overhaul' probably wouldn't be a bad idea. At least every suspension component.

Probably has some loose spokes. Nipples are generally pretty well corroded tight to spokes..getting them loose is a chore. Lots of soaking in penetrating oil, heating 'em up, fussing with 'em.

If you do that (go through the spokes), it would be a good idea to put the nipples back on with anti-seize. Well, better'n a good idea..pretty much mandatory if you plan on every tightening a spoke.

Maybe buy a set of spokes that fit so you can replace the ones you can't break loose.

Depends on how far you want to go with 'fixing' stuff. I'm sure there's plenty of it that needs fixin'. There is even on a dirt bike that's been taken relatively good care of!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

thanks cc,i emailed ron a picture of the head so thats how he said he came to the conclusion that mine was not a worthy candidate.he recommended a new or used one in better nick.

yes suspension is def getting a look at as the bike was never looked after.
totally forgot about the wheel spokes cc,i guess they get overlooked a lot of times

front forks i will just get restored to factory spec although if i found a set of kx forks i would snap em up.

wheel bearings,swingarm etc

thanks
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

R1-
This is this bike?
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

It is a 93 KDX250, correct?

I wonder if you might not be better off finding a new cylinder. Maybe try a complete KX motor?

You got your work cut out for you, that is for sure...
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

yep it is karl

found that kdx parts are pretty rare,in new south wales anyway(australia)

wreckers wanted 1500 bucks for a second hand engine.

i only paid 300 for the bike,it does reflect in the condition its in but i dont mind spending abit on it.

and yes i do have my work cut out but keeping me busy till i go back to work in 2010.

thanks