Clutch Problem!

Got questions? We got answers....
dubtruker

Clutch Problem!

Post by dubtruker »

Hey!
This is my first post. I still do not have a KDX but have been shopping. I have never really ridden dirt before last year when I bought a DRZ400SM lowered it 2" and installed knobbies on the 17s as I am short (5'6") and inexperienced. Anyways the DRZ was stolen and I bought a KTM 625SMC to replace the supermoto part of the DRZ but now I need a whole new bike for dirt as well because you would need to be a very big man to ride the KTM offroad. And decided the KDX is the way I want to go.

Anyways here is my question. I found a bike that fits my needs but the clutch is locked up. Cable and lever are free and seem more then effective when unhooked from the clutch lever on the gearbox. The lever on the gearbox is solid, no way to push it even with a wrench to disengage the clutch, however the lever will spin backwards when cable unhooked so its not like its siezed just not disengaging the clutch.

Any ideas? Oh and By the way I allready have a set of SuperMoto 17s from a Japanese D-tracker and all the lights and extras needed to license it to be my "Bro Bike" when we all wanna go supermoto together.

Thanks in advance! :partyman:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

COule be lots of things....From easy and cheap to case-splitting and expensive.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

It could be that someone took it apart to replace plates and then didn't assemble correctly. The clutch on a KDX is pretty simple, but you have to know where the washers go. The bigger thing is if they did put it together wrong, you have to wonder what else they screwed up on the bike.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

The guy said he dropped it and bent the clutch lever last time out. He basically still left it all dirty since as well and there are no signs that the clutch cover nhas been off since the last time he rode it as its all full of mud. He was thinking it was just a lever/cable problem until I unhooked it and showed him its inside the case.
Think I should just keep looking or get this one at a great price and hope for the best or can this be a big buck fix? I work on all my stuff so no way its going to a shop as I can do most anything myself.
Thanks,
Rick
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pick it up cheap....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Pick it up cheap....
Or go looking for a better example if you'd rather not work on it. They made a kabillion of these things, and in this economy it's a buyer's market.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

In a couple minutes you can take the clutch cover off and look at it. Lay the bike on its side to keep the oil in it, zip off a few bolts, take a look at what's going on. You said you work on all your stuff...so might as well get started!

How long has the thing been sitting? Is there oil in the window? Maybe the PO ran it low on oil and stuck the plates. That would be severe damage..and a bike to walk away from.

Or..the clutch basket is so badly notched (a normal wear item) that the plates won't move.

Put the bike in gear, rock it BACKwards...see if that changes anything with the clutch actuator. If it does...the basket is toast.

New basket? Last I looked, $200+.

Did I miss it? :hmm: What year/model is it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

Sorry its a 99 200. I wanted to pull the clutch cover there and then but the owner seemed very mechanically uninclined and thought I would break something so he said no. I am gonna walk on this one as I may have a better 99 KDX 200 lined up to buy for same price.
Thanks,
Rick
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I was wondering if we were talking about an air-cooled historical wonder.

But...the locked-the-clutch-up bike should go for a whole lot less....

Better for the same price is good. ...as long as the price on the first one wasn't incredibly silly.

Good luck!

Consider the source

dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

Well picked up the other one today. 1999 KDX200 won it on Ebay for $1000 sight unseen. Picked it up 6 hours away and in another country! I was pleasently surprised by the condition of it. It's like new! Starts first kick everytime which I am not much used to compared to the bigbore 4 strokes. It was at a shop which took it in on trade but is clearing out inventory now any way they can due to the economy. They're loss my Gain!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Great!

Now you have your work cut out for you! Every preventive maintenance task in the book is now 'overdue'. :wink:

The clutch works a bit better on this one? :?

Consider the source

dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Great!

Now you have your work cut out for you! Every preventive maintenance task in the book is now 'overdue'. :wink:

The clutch works a bit better on this one? :?
Haha yeah clutch is much better!

What preventitive would you recomend? Air filter/ gearbox oil/ linkage bearings. What else?

This bike is from the RBs home area. Anyway to check if any of his mods are done?

Thanks again guys.

Waiting for my broken thumb to mend then the street mods will begin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Preventive now is the same as if you bought the thing brand new off the showroom floor. Take everything apart that has a bearing: Swingarm, shock linkage, steering bearings. ..and certainly change the oil, clean the air filter.

Be prepared to replace a few suspension bearings/collars/seals.

Service the shock. Set the rear sag.

A basic fork service would be needed most certainly.

Just basic 'maintenance' stuff.

Consider the source

dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

Thanks for your help.
I actually will be doing a the steering bearings as I put the KLX650C front end. I am doing that to get the 310mm brake and the USD fork looks a bit better on street. So only to tear into the linkage after that which I may do if I can figure out a lowering link for it. I am getting so stoked, took it for a blast in the alley today, broken hand and all. Those 18/21s sure do turn in alot weirder then I am used to!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't know that I've heard of another KLX650 front-end on a KDX. The 310mm rotor would be something.

There are lowering links available for the KDX. Kouba makes several sets. Wouldn't be hard to make a set if you're metals-handy. They're just a length of metal with a hole on each end! :wink:

Consider the source