Anything I am missing?

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Anything I am missing?

Post by lemmy »

I purchased my bike back last July and was injured at the time so I have not gotten to ride it much. however I have worked on it plenty. I have found problems in the carb (much work to determine it was the jet block gasket), kips valve (guy before me had it timed wrong and it was always open), all rear linkage bearings where in really bad shape, a couple of things in the clutch were put in backwards (like the curved washer), and today I found that the front wheel bearings and sleeve were full of rust and dirt and mud and the same for the head/steerer bearings. They all looked like they had never had any maintenance. He also had the washer on the spacer in the both forks upside down. Except for the engine and transmission I think I have gone through everything. Is there anything else that needs regular maintenance that I am missing? I was thinking the rear shock probably needs rebuilding so that is next on my list.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Ya might think about replacing the control cables.

Replace the hydraulic fluid.

You mention linkage bearings. Did that include the swingarm?

If it's got an aftermarket S/A on it..repack it.

Replace the coolant.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Good ideas. I have already replaced the clutch cable, but not the throttle. I have also replaced the coolant and repacked the silencer. I definitely need to replaced the hydraulic fluid. Thanks. The swingarm bearings were in good shape and I just replaced the seals and cleaned and regreased them.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Steering bearings? Easy enough to do if the forks are off.

With the forks out, if you can turn from lock to lock and not feel any notchiness, the bearings are good.

Still..drop the stem..repack them.

If the bottom race shows any sign of wear (easy enough to see)...knock it out, rotate 90º, put it back in.

You're already into the shock (on another post). Nothing helps a shock as much as clean oil.

Oh...what oil you going to use? Asked that on the other thread I think.

If you use RaceTechs oil, be sure to get the oil recommended for the Kayaba shock. '00' I believe it is. It's something like $30/qt., but the shock isn't a place you want to use bargain basement fluid in.

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Yeah, when I took the front wheel off the bearings were completely rusted and locked up, so was the spacer. Then I took of the steering bearings and they were just as bad. The steerer tube (where the bottom bearing is pressed on) is really rusty and looks like crap. The bearings were completely frozen. I have new stuff on order.

I have a question though about steerer maintenence. It is really difficult to get the bottom bearing off without damaging it. And it is hard or almost impossible to repack a bearing like that properly without having it off. So how to you clean and repack when you are just doing maintenance on the steering bearings?

On the forks I used 5WT Maxima oil set to 110mm level (per your recommendation).
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

THE way to get the bottom bearing off the stem without damage is to press out the stem. That doesn't seem a good choice to me..I don't want to stress the bottom clamp with multiple stem removements (I made that word up).

Yes, a tapered roller is best serviced when it's 'out' of whatever it goes in. Still, you have access to the outside of the bearing on the stem, so that bearing can be serviced fairly well. Use something like kerosene and a brush, then BraKleen to clean it. Repack it as you do any tapered roller..squeezing grease into the top of the roller cage until the cage is 'full'.

My oil question was about the shock...not the forks.

Oil level is a matter of personal preference. I chose 110 on the OEM forks, but didn't get around to TRYing 115/120. Certainly I preferred 110 over the oft recommended 100. Again...any recommended number is going to be a starting place.

Experiment some. Figure the oil volume per 5mm of fork tube, let out that amount of oil using the drain screws, see if you like it better. If not, put it back in using the brass screws on the top cap and a syringe.

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Oh ya, shocks not forks. I haven't gotten in to the shock yet. That, hydraulic fluid, and new front brakes are the next things for me to do.

Like I said the stem is in really bad shape. Should I try to sand off most of the rust and corrosion? I plan on taking something very fine to try to polish up the sections where the bearing is pressed on and where the top bearing sits...same for the where the wheel bearings are pressed in the front wheel.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

My error. I thought there was another post having to do with your shock rebuild. A case of mistaken identity.....

Back up some...

The stem is in 'bad shape' meaning...what? The metal between the bearings? No reason to care about that.

Re: '..polish up the sections...'

You already have the bottom bearing off? Then you'll be replacing it, and servicing it isn't at issue. THAT area of the stem is corroded? That would be troubling. The interference fit in the case of steel on steel (bearing on stem) is minute. Don't know how it would've gotten corroded in the first place.

If it's corroded to any extent, removal of that corrosion from the stem is going to make that 'fit' less than good I'd think.

Wheel bearings? The front hub is corroded? It's aluminum! Not that aluminum doesn't oxidize..but I doubt that's a problem with your wheel.

Again..neither place (stem/hub) is one I'd be 'sanding' on...at ALL. 400-600 wet-n-dry..maybe. If I thought for whatever reason it was absolutely necessary. Crocus cloth..maybe some BarKeepers Friend and a soft rag.

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Yeah, mainly the metal between the bearings. I do have the bearings off of the stem, so servicing is not a problem. I was just wondering about the next time I have the stem off and want to clean and regrease the bearings I am replacing now. The old bearing was in really bad shape so I had no choice but to replace.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote:Yeah, mainly the metal between the bearings.
No reason to worry about that. It don't matter. Think of anything 'extra' on the stem as something adding strength!

If you're considering putting a zerk in the steering tube (some riders do) I suppose a cleaner stem is better than a dirty one. A btw, but it's generally considered a good idea to put some kind of foam in the tube to displace the pounds of grease the tube would otherwise take.

Always sounded like a huge mess to me.

Consider the source