2 months riding the KDX now

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

2 months riding the KDX now

Post by Little Jeff »

Well, After 2 months riding my 2000 KDX200, I have to say that it is just an awesome woods machine!!! I had a ACL reconstruction on my left knee last Sept 10th 2008. So I was in limbo for about 7 months. I put the KDX back together over the winter. I have all the usual goodies on it like RB head and a new RB carb, EFM auto clutch and a trials tire on the back just to name a few. Just got back from Tahuya State Forest a few hours ago. This bike is a singletrack eating machine. I think I like it more in the singletrack than my '02 KTM 300EXC. I did take it to the mountains last weekend in Taneum (S. Cle Elum) and in certain situations it is a tad under powered, like going up sudden steep hills, but it made it. My suspension guy has the forks and shock on this bike dialed in. No need for KX forks on this bike. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you guys on this bike. Maybe someday, I will buy a new lighting coil from Indawoods. Also, does anybody know if somebody makes footpegs that can be set back a little further than the stock footpegs? That is the only complaint I have with this bike. It's just a little cramped, especially with the shifting side. Wish I had about another 3/4" in length.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Good to hear. I agree that the KDX can be more capable in the tight stuff than almost anything else out there. I too like it better in those situations than the KTM's I've owned in the past.

I was always a stock fork guy as well, and felt why would you need USD's for woods riding. But, I pulled the trigger this spring and picked up a set of '03 KX125 forks revalved for woods by Racetech. I can honestly say that they do make a significant difference! I can ride harder for a longer period of time with the KX forks. The big kicker is that they dont dive in corners and downhills like the stock forks. This makes a huge difference IMO.

I am also running IMS superstock wide pegs and they do set back from stock and work nicely.

Good to hear of another KDX convert from the orange side.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Put on a set of KX forks, then say you prefer the OEM forks, and I'll believe you. :wink:

My OEM forks were first tuned by Wilkey (MX-Tech). I liked 'em aLOT. More accomplished riders than me rode my bike..said, 'Nice suspension!' The tuning was refined by a local tuner, further refined by myself when I got more comfortable doing my own tweaking. They were great!

...the KX forks ('99 46mm KX250s) are much better.

Good to hear there's another satisfied KDX'er. I sure like mine..but...I don't have an ACL in either knee...so my point of view may be somewhat handicapped. :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

Agree. I moved from an XR400 to an '06 200 this spring. I've never had a better trail bike, nor ridden more confidently. The motor is bomber IMO.
Smyda

Post by Smyda »

This is what I did.....and it worked well for me.

STOCK...Untouched

Checked angle before cutting peg mount off.

Peg mount removed.

Installed a 1/4 thick piece of flat stock in order to lower peg.

Finished product...Pegs were lowered just over an inch...also added an extra row of teeth to pegs...making them wider and longer.

I did have to mod the brake lever to clear the flat stock.
Now I can easily get my size 14 Fox trail boots under the shifter.
Also I'm 6'4" and this made gripping the seat with my knees easier.
AtomicKDX

Re: 2 months riding the KDX now

Post by AtomicKDX »

Can you say more about the EFM auto clutch? I am curious. Thanks.

>|<>QBB<
Little Jeff wrote:Well, After 2 months riding my 2000 KDX200, I have to say that it is just an awesome woods machine!!! I had a ACL reconstruction on my left knee last Sept 10th 2008. So I was in limbo for about 7 months. I put the KDX back together over the winter. I have all the usual goodies on it like RB head and a new RB carb, EFM auto clutch and a trials tire on the back just to name a few. Just got back from Tahuya State Forest a few hours ago. This bike is a singletrack eating machine. I think I like it more in the singletrack than my '02 KTM 300EXC. I did take it to the mountains last weekend in Taneum (S. Cle Elum) and in certain situations it is a tad under powered, like going up sudden steep hills, but it made it. My suspension guy has the forks and shock on this bike dialed in. No need for KX forks on this bike. Just thought I would share my thoughts with you guys on this bike. Maybe someday, I will buy a new lighting coil from Indawoods. Also, does anybody know if somebody makes footpegs that can be set back a little further than the stock footpegs? That is the only complaint I have with this bike. It's just a little cramped, especially with the shifting side. Wish I had about another 3/4" in length.
Little Jeff
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Just so you know guys, I still have my KTM and I think it is the do everything bike. That particular bike was my first love, even though back in '01 my first bike was a KDX220. Back then I felt I just wanted more power. Now that I am a bit more experienced rider, power isn't everything. As far as the EFM clutch is concerned, it is great. Garry does a wonderful job with excellent customer service. Just make sure that your stock clutch basket is in good shape. Mine was thrashed, so I bought a new one. Very easy install also. You will need an impact wrench to get it off and to reassemble. I would think that Rekluse would make a autoclutch for the KDX, but they do not. So EFM is your only choice. I thgink Revloc also makes one, but from what I hear they are very spendy. The EFM will set you back about $550. I know that's a lot of dough, but worth it in my book.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.