FMF gold fatty =confusion '97 kdx200 to an '03 kdx200?

Got questions? We got answers....
dmerc

FMF gold fatty =confusion '97 kdx200 to an '03 kdx200?

Post by dmerc »

I've found sites saying gold fattys only fit 94 and earlier. He says it's off a 97, and I wanna' get it for my 03 kdx200.

PLEASE, will it fit?
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

95 and up should fit
dmerc

Post by dmerc »

thanks, but if a gold fatty only fit 94 and earlier, THAT, is what has me concerned. He "claims" it's a 97 motor/exhaust, but maybe he's wrong???
No idea how to tell :sad:
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Call fmf and ask if they made fatty for those years, they might be able to give some clues
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Forget calling FMF... they don't have a clue what they make.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dmerc

Post by dmerc »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Forget calling FMF... they don't have a clue what they make.

Perfect!! :rolleyes:

I've got their current part #'s for 95up(woods/desert), and for the 94 and earlier fatty. Hopefully the numbers used before are the same. Can't go get it till wed. anyhow. We shall see. :grin:
L8 Apex
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: FMF gold fatty =confusion '97 kdx200 to an '03 kdx200?

Post by L8 Apex »

>|<>QBB<
dmerc wrote:I've found sites saying gold fattys only fit 94 and earlier. He says it's off a 97, and I wanna' get it for my 03 kdx200.

PLEASE, will it fit?
Pretty sure the Gold Series FMF's are for '94 and earlier since everything I'm finding for the '95's and later are listed as Gnarley or Rev pipes. :grin:

My '87 only has the option of the Gold Series or nothing, but I'm hoarding parts for a hybrid build and only see the Gnarly and Rev pipes available.
1987 KDX 200 (one owner (me), surprisingly pristine)
also buying parts for an '05 KX/KDX hybrid
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There have been several people with Fatty's on their H series bikes on here. I think they made them for a short time while developing the Gnarley pipe for the H when it first come out.

My woods pipe is stamped a Rev... FMF smokes way too much weed.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Just curios how do you know its not a rev pipe, when I bought my rev motosport trid to sell me a woods pipe, that is all they sell for some reason, I tried it out thinking I might like, ended up cleaning it up real good and sent it back. Maybe there not smoking enough? :rolleyes:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The profile.... the woods sits lower on the bike than the rev... and is not as big in the bell. Besides that... I bought an E-line rev pipe guard and ther was no way it would even come close to fitting... that is what made me start investigating what was going on....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Thanks Inda that makes sense. I would like to say you guys got a great site here with tons of info and good advice, thanks again :grin:
L8 Apex
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L8 Apex »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:There have been several people with Fatty's on their H series bikes on here. I think they made them for a short time while developing the Gnarley pipe for the H when it first come out.

My woods pipe is stamped a Rev... FMF smokes way too much weed.
Good to know, although the 89's to 94's will be the skipped generation in my family w/ my old steed and my brother's '98.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

My '87 only has the option of the Gold Series or nothing, but I'm hoarding parts for a hybrid build and only see the Gnarly and Rev pipes available.
87 hybrid? aircooled KDX engine on a KX chassis?

Oh my, that could be heaven.

J.
L8 Apex
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L8 Apex »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:
87 hybrid? aircooled KDX engine on a KX chassis?

Oh my, that could be heaven.

J.
Thought about it, but nope, putting a newer 200 into the '05 KX 125 chassis. Already have the frame and RB'ed carb. Swingarm is on the way and haven't decided which forks to use.

The '87 will become the back-up bike, but Memorial Day weekend it had no issues keeping up w/ all of the 250X's I was with. I'm just not a fan of the top-heaviness nor the rear drum. Which is near useless after the first mud-hole.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'm going to build a modernized aircooled 2 stroke one of these days dammit. I might try to use the engine from my 73 F11, although I would prefer something with a powervalve.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

There are plenty used in karting, but not powervalved. Some of the most up do date port tech, and rotary valve design though. They've all gone h2o cooled recently too. Simplest thing to h2o cool in the world is a 2T so why bother (even though I'm a bit of an air cooled guy too).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I just like the simplicity of an aircooled 2 stroke, and that big gnarly finned jug just screams "i'm mean, i'm bad, and you know it."
L8 Apex
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L8 Apex »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:I just like the simplicity of an aircooled 2 stroke, and that big gnarly finned jug just screams "i'm mean, i'm bad, and you know it."
Mine sounds pretty mean w/ the FMF Gold Series I put on it. I'm still running the stock muffler and didn't expect much of a noise increase. :rolleyes: Boy was I wrong. Only about 1/2 of the exhaust noise actually makes it all the way to the muffler now since the other 1/2 comes straight through the chamber's walls. :shock:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Indawoods wrote:There have been several people with Fatty's on their H series bikes on here. I think they made them for a short time while developing the Gnarley pipe for the H when it first come out.
Yep.

There are Fatty's that fit 'H' and 'A' bikes. I've seen 'em.

That doesn't necessarily mean the one in question will fit...or is a Fatty. Folks throw around all sorts of names and words for pipes. A large part of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about.

IF it's a Fatty..and IF it fits...it won't be made of 18ga. metal. It'll be 19ga. They're pretty flimsy.

I've not ever determined if the pipe having the word 'Fatty' ON it makes it the Fatty profile of the older bikes. FmF got into trouble with the names they used about that time with 'Burly'. Whatever it SAYS on the pipe..gnarly/fatty/burly/gold..don't make it anything in particular. Like Inda said, FmF is whacked.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
dmerc

Post by dmerc »

The pipe has a 260.... part number. The current FMF pipes for pre'94, are 0260.... so, I figured it would NOT fit.

The current fmf #'s for 95 up, starts 0200

BUT, he needed to sell it today, offered the pipe and silencer (fmf) for $50

The pipe fits perfectly. And, along with the #260... , it also says FMF Gold Fatty.

So, do the pre '94 pipes not work correctly, or will they literally not FIT?