CHAINS

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Details
Product Group Z Sprockets
Manufacturer SUN STAR
Vendor Cyclepages Store
Mfg. Part No. 3-361950
Unit Type each
Condition New
Rear Sprocket Link Size 0
Front Sprocket Tooth Count 50

:shock: oops.

Fifty is a LOT of teeth for a front sprocket.

**Note to reader**

The last two digits of the PN is the number of teeth, it seems. I.E.: The PN Inda posted is for a 50T sprocket..and hopefully NOT for the front!

:roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They have all sizes... here's the main Z Sprocket page.

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupD ... ID=4002980

Typos happen! :cool:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I knew that. Figured someone might click on your link..thinking they were getting some size in particular...like an OEM size..and get a surprise.

Consider the source

bmcd308

Post by bmcd308 »

Just as an additional data point, my Primary Drive O ring chain on my 200 has
1.held up very well since its initial stretch - it has already well outlasted the stock chain with much less frequent adjustment
2. several pivot points that do not pivot much at all (that stay kinked after coming off the sprocket as they move toward the other sprocket).
3. lots of drag - it was very noticeable when I first put it on.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ringed chains generally are kinky.

I would expect a string of old beverage can pop-tops to last longer'n the OEM 200 chain.

The 220 OEM chain is ringed, btw.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

In my experience, ringed chains don't last any longer than a good quality non oring chain

they get all kinky and are a bitch too maintain from that point on...
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

and a bad kink running through your front sprocket can lock up your driveline instantly. I have known more than one person who had this happen, the worst being on a 3-wheeler with the end-result of tossing him off the bike instantly...Into a tree. :neutral:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I've had it with all chains. Chains were the source of much frustration for me this weekend. I got my bike back together and we were planning on riding the next moring. I decided I would throw my chain back on first thing in the morning then load up. I tried to put my chain on but the pins on the master link were worn down so much that the clip wouldn't stay on. I knew I had an extra master link some place so began the search. I looked in every drawer, shelf, box...I even resorted to rooting around on my hands and knees to find old master links that may have been kick in the corner or under crap. I found a couple masters but none would fit so I went to the local bike shop on the way to the riding area to buy a chain. I took my old chain so that they could cut it to the right size. I got to the riding area and tried to put my new o-ring chain on and the damn thing was too short. I counted the number of links on the new chain and it same the same as my old chain. Why was it too short? It was then that I realized that I had taken a couple links out of my old chain to get a little more life out of it. ****! About that time someone was in my tool bax and found a brand new master link still in the package. It was the master link that I had been looking for to go on my original chain. The only problem was that I left my old chain at the bike shop. Crap! We called around a finally found a shop with a cheap ($32 Parts Unlimited) chain so I drove back into town to buy it and then drove back to the loading area to put it on. Now I have two new chains, one needing another link and another master link. I don't even want to think about chains right now.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The KDX chain in OEM gearing form runs 108 links.

The folks in the bike shop should have known the chain you supplied was worn out..and therefore NOT an acceptable guide to use as the number of links in a NEW chain. THAT would have been a decent customer service experience.

Or...they might have asked what bike it was going on, then known that 106 wasn't enough.

All of that, 'natch', to put the blame for the fiasco firmly where it rightly belongs...on somebody else!

Sue 'em.......... :grin:

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

106 would really be short on mine

I run 110 :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
jswag

Post by jswag »

will a primary drive o-ring chain fit through the stock rear chain guard,my regular racing chain rubs and the oring looks to be at least 2-3 mm thicker.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

By "racing chain" do you mean non O-ring? If so, and it rubs the chain guide, a thicker chain (O-ring) will not rub less.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

>|<>QBB<
jswag wrote:will a primary drive o-ring chain fit through the stock rear chain guard
Negative- I just went through this. Initially I thought that the chain would beat up the guide and the problem would go away, plastic *generally* losing to metal in the rock/paper/scissors game. My small (but nimble and observant, betimes...) brain neglected to include the effect of dirt functioning as an effective abrasive when embedded into the plastic liner of the guide. When I noticed that the 'mushroom heads' on my clip master link seemed to be thinning out I a) bent the guide bracket a bit to offset the guide outward, and b) installed a spacer in between the inner plate and the guide body to widen the channel. Does it work? I think so...
Last edited by porterdog on 08:41 pm Jun 11 2009, edited 1 time in total.
jswag

Post by jswag »

thanks porterdog! i got the o-ring chain because the last primary drive standard roller chain needed to be adjusted after every ride,but i dont want to have to modify anything to run the chain. i think i will send it back and try something different.
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

>|<>QBB<
jswag wrote:thanks porterdog! i got the o-ring chain because the last primary drive standard roller chain needed to be adjusted after every ride,but i dont want to have to modify anything to run the chain. i think i will send it back and try something different.
I can see why you'd feel that way, but really the limiting factor is the guide so that (IMO!) is what should be changed. Your experience with the standard roller is identical to mine- the stretch never stopped! Better to either replace the guide (Moose and Fredette both have them IIRC) or modify it to run the better chain (again, IMO).
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Modifying the block is easy and makes all the difference....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jswag

Post by jswag »

I also got paranoid of the kink factor..i didnt like the sound of it kinking up and binding in the front sprocket guard.Are the x-ring chains the same width as the o-ring?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mine is narrower than a O-Ring I was running....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****