radio communications

Got questions? We got answers....
barryadam
Supporting Member

radio communications

Post by barryadam »

My son & I have ridden together for the last 6 years. We have tried just about everything available including desert, dry lake beds, trails, single track, fire roads, streets, mx tracks, sand, etc.
We have always tried to communicate with each other on the ride, although there are times we get separated or both lost and we wished we had a way to talk on the bike. Last year I tried using low-cost 2-way radios. We had some old FRS/GMRS Audiovox cheapies from a sporting goods shop and added a headset with an integral push-to-talk switch (PTT).

We liked being able to communicate about trail conditions, paths to take or not take, “where are you”, alerts for upcoming traffic, needs to stop, etc. However, the radios had some serious shortcomings. The headsets were pretty uncomfortable in the helmets, the radios were not powerful enough to give much range, the sound quality and level were barely usable (most of the time we were yelling “WHAT DID YOU SAY?”), the PTT was a pain to find, and the wiring snagged a bush and ripped the headset right out of my ear.
But the basic communication ability proved a worthy goal and justified further investment.
After some research, I got advice from a TT forum member that knew his stuff. He had Baja/desert racing experience and was offering to share.
The radio quality is key to making this work. You need professional equipment. I chose these

as they were reasonably priced, popular choices and weatherproof.

The other key element is a specific noise cancellation microphone. PCI Race radios and Baja Designs both have the right stuff. There are others that use the same mic, but PCI is about 20 minutes from my office, and I have bought stuff from BD before. They both make a helmet wiring set that includes a jack for using earbud speakers. This is the way to go to make the best quality audio, plus it blocks a bit of the ambient. You can still hear noises from your bike and of course, outside sources.

I wanted to make my own radio harness, but gave up trying to solder mini shielded cable, and ended up with the full PCI harness.

With the radios in our backpacks, helmets wired up, and PTT on the bars, the end result was fantastic. We had clear, loud communication that could cover significant distance and it worked around the corners significantly better than the old system. I was leary about having a tether to the bike, but it proved to be no problem. I was leary about the helmet connections, but they, too, proved no problem.

Bottom line, it cost a lot more than I wanted to invest initially, but now that I have got it, I wouldn’t want to ride without it. If you have used something like this, you know what I mean. If you have not tried it, you really should find someone that has one and can let you use it. If you are not happy with your radio setup, there’s a better way. It really changes the riding experience.

Barry
Last edited by barryadam on 12:02 pm May 29 2009, edited 2 times in total.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Good write up, thanks for the info.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I just shoot them with a BB gun when I want to get someones attention! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I just shoot them with a BB gun when I want to get someones attention! :lol:
Low cost and fun!
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

What type of radio is that? What was the total cost of the setup? Great write up.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

The radios are YAESU VX-170. Search the internet for vendors' sales. I went to Gigaparts @ $135 ea shipped.
The headsets, PTT, harness, and radio adaptor from PCI was $270 ea(including tax which just went up to 9.25% in LA County!! :shock: ) I think BD is about the same. The adaptor for the YAESU radios accounted for about $51 ea of that total, so if you get ICOM or other radios, it might be a bit cheaper. PCI doesn't use YAESU's CT-91 adaptor.
Earbuds I already had.
Oh yeah, and $4 for a Radio Shank mono-to-stereo adaptor plug. Big difference having one ear filled with talk vs. both ears.

Like I said, not cheap. But the performance is the best.

Thanks again to johnnyairtime.
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I just shoot them with a BB gun when I want to get someones attention! :lol:
Isn't riding and shooting one of the official winter Olympic sports?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It is one of our events at our yearly "ATF Day" :partyman: :shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project