New to site, New KDX owner

Got questions? We got answers....
revodrew
Supporting Member

New to site, New KDX owner

Post by revodrew »

Hello all,

I am new to the site and just picked up a 1990 KDX200 this morining. It seems to be in very sound shape. The motor runs hard, shifts well and cosmetically looks really good for almost 20 years of woods riding.

I race a couple differant hairscramble series on my quad but wanted a bike because this is the route my son has chosen. I found the bike on craigslist and bought it after doing some research and this seemed to be the perfect fit for me. I am looking to use it for occasional scrambles in the local area.

My questions are, what is the best best type of mix to use and what is the proper fuel to mix ratio? I have been strictly a 4 stroke guy, this is my first 2 stroke~EVER!!!

Also, what is the best oil to use in the trans?

Thanks for any and all help,
Drew
2007 YFZ450 Bill Ballace Edition
Hiper CF-1 Beadlock wheels rapped with Razor1
Houser +7/8 STem
FASST Company Flexx bars
Pro Filter
Yoshi RS-2 slip-on
Custom Quadbuiler.net graphics
GYTR Nerfs
PRM Summitt Bumper
Pro-Armor Skids
Maguara Hydro-clutch

1990 KDX200
FMF Full Exhaust
Renthal Sprockets
Arai Knucklebuster
Alot more that I dont really know what it is, this is my first bike! LOL
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Amsoil Interceptor or Motul synthetic oil will do you right....

40:1 is a good all round ratio to use.

Tranny oil is subjective along with everything else I suggested but the cheap Auto Parts 10W40 seems to work well. The main thing is it cannot have any friction modifiers in it or say energy conserving. It is not a given just because it doesn't say so that it doesn't. But my research has shown the 10W40 Auto Zone oil is safe to run.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Welcome! You made two good choices... buying a KDX and joining this site. You'll get a million answers to the premix question, everyone has an opinion! Kawasaki recommends 32:1 but most of us agree that 40:1 is a pretty safe ratio. Check this post out http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1815 and this one http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5879&highlight=premix+oil

Get familiar with the Search option at the top of the page. I typed in "premix and oil", those exact words without the quotes.

Have fun!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You can avoid any question or worries about an oil having friction modifiers in it OR it being 'energy conserving' if you:

1. Buy an oil that is specifically designed for wet clutch use...say, hopefully what you used in your 4T.

2. Buy an SAE grade specified for the bike..which is like going to be something like SF or SG.

Change the oil often..like after every handful (small hand) of rides..maybe three or four.

Premix oil? Yeah...lots of 'this is the best!' from people that like a particular oil. Like Inda said, you won't go wrong with Interceptor (an Amsoil product).

Welcome to KDXRider.

Have fun riding!! The 'E' series 200 is a great bike!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

Another thumbs up for Amsoil. I have been using Dominator ( that is what they sell at my local dealership) for the past several weeks and have been very pleased. I have been running 45:1, but may try 50:1 which they recommend.
revodrew
Supporting Member

Post by revodrew »

So a differant brand of mixing oil will recomend differant ratios?

Thanks for the help fellas, and yeah I am familiar with the search engine but assumed that getting personal experiance from the recent date would prove beneficial since companys come out with new products almost weekly if not daily.

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like I am going to pick up some Amsoil and run a 40:1 mix.

Does this bike require 94 octane? In my quad I run the highest pump gas possible.

Thanks again
2007 YFZ450 Bill Ballace Edition
Hiper CF-1 Beadlock wheels rapped with Razor1
Houser +7/8 STem
FASST Company Flexx bars
Pro Filter
Yoshi RS-2 slip-on
Custom Quadbuiler.net graphics
GYTR Nerfs
PRM Summitt Bumper
Pro-Armor Skids
Maguara Hydro-clutch

1990 KDX200
FMF Full Exhaust
Renthal Sprockets
Arai Knucklebuster
Alot more that I dont really know what it is, this is my first bike! LOL
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep... high octane!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Jonooffler

pre mix

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi I'm running a 2003 KDX220 that needs 32-1 on silkoline has any changed this to 40-1 without damage
Thanks Jono
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Amsoil Interceptor or Motul synthetic oil will do you right....

40:1 is a good all round ratio to use.

Tranny oil is subjective along with everything else I suggested but the cheap Auto Parts 10W40 seems to work well. The main thing is it cannot have any friction modifiers in it or say energy conserving. It is not a given just because it doesn't say so that it doesn't. But my research has shown the 10W40 Auto Zone oil is safe to run.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

siaknijustin

Post by siaknijustin »

Klotz R50 is great premix as well. I ran it @ 50:1 in my 250 mxer days with zero problems. I now run it @ 40:1 in my 220. I did a 65 mile ride yesterday with bad jetting (rich main) and had no fouling problems.
2000 KDX220R
I'd rather be riding!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's not a fouling problem that is the issue with premixes in the KDX... It's gumming up the KIPS. Amsoil runs so clean they almost look new after a rebuild and the KIPS works great all the time.

Other premixes I have had problems with... BelRay being one of them...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****