Drowned the KX60, need tips

Got questions? We got answers....
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Drowned the KX60, need tips

Post by Jeb »

Yes, the newest rider in the JEB clan took his bike a'swimming, inadvertently cruising right over the pond dam and into about 4+ ft of water. I went a'swimming, too, to fetch the poor green machine out of the muck.

Got things apart to clean/dry/flush. Airbox, carby, intake pieces, exhaust, packing, front & rear wheels (drum brakes) - good to go. I drained/flush the transmission and it looks reasonable at this point but I'm sure I'll do a few more flushes after things are running. Magneto side was oddly very dry.

The thing that worries me is the crankcase. I've got the head/cylinder cleaned up. I used some cheap 2-stroke oil in an effort to fill/drain the crankcase a few times and it's better. But I can see some milky-white residue. Is there a good way to flush completely or is it something that will work it's way out while it's running? I didn't want to go shoving stuffing anything down there (not that it would be very thorough anyway) for fear of getting a piece of something down there.

Ideas? Am I worried for a good reason?

Any other tips - perhaps from someone who's been there before?

Thanks!!
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I'd flush it with diesel, flip her upside down, and blow the crap out with an air compressor. Slap it back together and run it.

That's just me though, and I'm an idiot. :supz:
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Jeb-my son did something very similar with his rm 60. But instead of dumping his bike in relatively clean water, he dumped it (airbox side down) into 2 feet of stired up muddy water rigth off the side of the track.

As I was taking the bike apart, I kept hoping I'd see some positive sign that water/mud didn't get very far into his engine. But mud got past the reeds and when I flippted the bike over, muddy water poured out of the crankcase.

I pulled the engine off the bike and flushed it 7 times with premix. I was concerend that mud or grit was still trapped in some of the bearings so I decided to go all the way and split the cases. I was glad I did b/c I did find a small amount of mud still in there.

My recommendation to you is if you go the flush only route, once you think you are done, do it a couple more times.