counter shaft leak

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

counter shaft leak

Post by Little Jeff »

I have a 2000 KDX200. I recently (last winter) replaced the main seal, the 2 o-rings and a new collar and a new snap ring for the front sprocket. It's leaking ever so slightly, not enough to put oil on the ground though. I have been running about 900cc's of gear oil in the gear box vs. the 700 that it calls for. I heard by adding more oil that you can quiet down the noisy gear box a little. Seems to help. Do you guys think by adding more oil to the gear box can be attributed to my leaky seal. I'm certyain it is the main seal as there is no oil coming out of the splines on the shaft which would tell me that the o-rings are good. Any opinions out there? Thanks in advance
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I doubt it. The tranny is vented, so it's not like there is pressure causing the leak. Maybe the countershaft is worn a little.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

The counter shaft was also replaced last year. The guy I bought it from had a different front sprocket than what it called for and destroyed splines on shaft, so had to get a new shaft installed. I will be going down tomorrow after riding and pick up a new main seal and replace it when I can. It's possible when I put in the new seal, that I might have nicked the seal surface and it might be leaking from there. Is there a special tool for pulling out those old seals? It was a bugger last time.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Do you guys think by adding more oil to the gear box can be attributed to my leaky seal.'

Nope.

Re: 'I heard by adding more oil that you can quiet down the noisy gear box a little.'

It's not the transmission that's noisy.

Curious...why is there no bearing on the countershaft anyway? Why only a collar? There's one on the other end? :hmm:

Don't know of a 'special tool'. Is there room to put a couple of screws in it, pull it out by the screw heads? The 'acceptable' procedure call for prying it out, I think. While that may work, it's not likely the best choice of method.

It'll be easier this time! :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!