Need Some Fork Tools..

Got questions? We got answers....
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Need Some Fork Tools..

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Am going to put the correct weight srpings in my forks and change the fork oil. Manual shows a "fork spring holder", which looks like it's the size of the top of the spring with a notch cut in it to fit around the shaft. Does anybody know any dimensions, size of the spring and width of the notch for the rod?
And it also shows a "fork piston rod puller" and gives a measurement of "M10 x 1.0. Is that the thread size of the nut I need to weld onto the end of the puller?
I can always wait untill I start taking everything apart and get measurements then, but if anyone has any numbers on hand I'd sure appreciate 'em. Give me a little more of a head start on the fix by making the tools ahead of time.
Thanks.. Tom
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
bezoar
Supporting Member

Post by bezoar »

If you are just changing the oil and springs, no special tools are needed. I just did it to mine. The spring can be held down under the nut with a crescent wrench opened up just enough to let the rod go through, but not enough to pass over the nut. A second wrench can then be placed on the nut directly on top of the crescent wrench. Both can be held with one hand. I did not need any tools to grab the piston rod.
Hope this helped. I had no problem the first time.....and I'm no mechanic!

If you are getting different sized (length) springs, then you will need a new spacer. I cut schedule 40 1" PVC pipe to give 5mm of preload.

If you are getting stiffer springs, you might consider dropping the fluid level below what is recommended for the lighter springs. I used 115mm.
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

>|<>QBB<
bezoar wrote:If you are just changing the oil and springs, no special tools are needed. I just did it to mine. The spring can be held down under the nut with a crescent wrench opened up just enough to let the rod go through, but not enough to pass over the nut. A second wrench can then be placed on the nut directly on top of the crescent wrench. Both can be held with one hand. I did not need any tools to grab the piston rod.
Hope this helped. I had no problem the first time.....and I'm no mechanic!

If you are getting different sized (length) springs, then you will need a new spacer. I cut schedule 40 1" PVC pipe to give 5mm of preload.

If you are getting stiffer springs, you might consider dropping the fluid level below what is recommended for the lighter springs. I used 115mm.
Cool, thanks! That's what I needed to know. :grin:
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Late to this...but I use a special tool:

Yeah...another wrench works..so will a number of other make-dos, but a piece of sheetmetal with a slot cut in it will work better, imo.

The slot width isn't noted..it's the size of the rod diameter, natch.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and make 'em. One of the perks of working in a stainless fab shop, you can whip up all kinds of stuff using metal out of the scrap barrel.
Got my springs today so I'll open the forks up and have a look soon. Got several things to do on it yet. Weather is getting better so I'll finally have some time to get some of my projects caught up. :grin:
2009 KX250F.. Track Star