Dye for Interceptor Amsoil

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Dye for Interceptor Amsoil

Post by gtoron »

Does anybody know if there is some sort of Dye available to put in the interceptor oil?
Just picked some up today and wanted to use it but since it has no dye in it was wondering if I could add something to remind me that I added oil to that can of gas.

This may sound silly but how about some food coloring?
Any ideas?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
Thought about that, but would prefer a visual indicator in the gas...I usually have sixteen things going on at once so things sometimes happen.
For example I had a gas jug in the shed that I must have filled but not added any oil too not sure why I did not but as soon as I started to pour it I noticed that it did not have the red tint from the Mobile 1 I use. The tint is just another fail safe for me. :wink:
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

keep in mind that anything you add to the gas that has water in it could pull the alcohol out of the fuel. When that happens, the alcohol settles to the bottom and it won't have any oil in it. doesn't take much water either. Food dye that contains water may not be too good. Add a couple drops of oil-of-wintergreen. It won't change the color but you sure will smell it in your fuel. A simple sniff and you know if it's premix or not. Also, being an oil, it won't affect the fuel formula like a water based dye might.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Interceptor does make gasoline kind'a brown..but certainly not a 'tint' you would easily recognize.

Google will find it:

http://www.dyedepot.com/product-list.php

They ship worldwide..and they have samples that will treat 1200 liters..'er litres.

If you can find it in the UK, it may be stateside, too.

Call a local fuel distributor. They probably have gallons of the stuff to tint off-road diesel. Maybe they would sell you a quart. That ought to last you for about ever...........

I understand the hectic part of race-day and all..but a routine that you do NOT ever break (thus, it's called a 'routine') works: NEVER put fuel in a tank/bottle/jug that doesn't have the oil put in first. As long as your particular container has your bike number/ID on it..it CAN'T not have oil in the gas, 'cuz you never PUT gas in the can without it.

None'a this..'I'll do it later. I'll remember!'

No. You won't.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Found this stuff from a local auto parts company. It is a leak detector dye for gas

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-tp-tp3090-0601.html

If anybody is interested in it. Thanks for all the responses
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's a leak detector...but it's probably UV?

I saw a lot of that...don't know if it actually makes the fuel a different color to the eye.

...of a human, I mean. :wink:

>|<>QBB<
Why is that stuff so insanely expensive, anyway? I kind'a like it but I won't pay as much as they ask for it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Lack of color in the interceptor oil is only reason I run the dominator oil verse the interceptor oil - both good oils IMO.

Sucks when you have 3 or 4 cans of gas and don't know which one has the oil premix. Bit me once about 15 years ago - never since.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You can always take a dab of the fuel on a paper towel, let it air dry and if there is oil in the mix you will know it.

I'm with carver though; get a routine.

My routine is that I mix just before I pour. Gas and oil is ALWAYS separate until I pour. Sometimes I forget my mixing cup, but that's what buddies are for, right CC?!? I always buy 5 gallons too. Easy to see if there is 5 gallons then I MUST add oil, then pour. If there is less than 5 gallons, then I must have added oil or else it would not have been poured to get it to something less than 5 gallons. See? My system. Go Away!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:It's a leak detector...but it's probably UV?

I saw a lot of that...don't know if it actually makes the fuel a different color to the eye.

...of a human, I mean. :wink:

>|<>QBB<
Why is that stuff so insanely expensive, anyway? I kind'a like it but I won't pay as much as they ask for it.
Me thinks your right...it appears to be UV dye!
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
gtoron wrote:Found this stuff from a local auto parts company. It is a leak detector dye for gas

That will work great as long as you have the UV dye light and the amber tinted glasses. It's like looking at a florescent green under a black light.
Only thing is when someone sees you with the glasses and the light in
hand would you tell them " Just checking to see if I added 2 smoke oil"??
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
TWMOODY wrote:>|<>QBB<
gtoron wrote:Found this stuff from a local auto parts company. It is a leak detector dye for gas

That will work great as long as you have the UV dye light and the amber tinted glasses. It's like looking at a florescent green under a black light.
Only thing is when someone sees you with the glasses and the light in
hand would you tell them " Just checking to see if I added 2 smoke oil"??
Thanks, can you tell me where to get the glasses and light :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah, that scent is way expensive CC.

FWIW, I have a 5gal, and a 1.5gal can that NEVER get used for anything but premix.....cans are cheap. Cans are labeled w/ a sharpie "2T"
it175
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by it175 »

gtoron... If you buy the intercepter by the gallon, just get 1qt of the dominator and mix it in when you can. Tints the fuel just fine and are both quality products. It works for me.
If you ride OVER your head. You WILL land on IT!!!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
it175 wrote:gtoron... If you buy the intercepter by the gallon, just get 1qt of the dominator and mix it in when you can. Tints the fuel just fine and are both quality products. It works for me.
Good idea I had thought about that today and assumed it should be ok as you would be mixing oil from the same manufacturer.

I also thought about mixing some "STA-BIL" fuel stabilizer in as that is also tinted red and keeps the fuel fresh along with keeping thing clean.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|QBB|QBB|QBB<[/url]

Thanks, can you tell me where to get the glasses and light :rolleyes: :rolleyes:[/quote][/quote]

Right here- the glasses can double for riding........ :lol:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/sho ... g12.htm#18

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The interceptor oil is the best for a powervalved woods application....Unless you are a full-time high-rpm racer type.