Oil for the transmission

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I tried ATF in my bike, but for some reason, I found LOTS of sparkly flecks of metal floating in the window after a day's ride. I have an auto-clutch so that may have been part of it.
I tore everything down and could not see anything worn, let alone why I would have that much metal suspended in the fluid. I flushed and refilled with Mobil1 15-50 and never saw a spec of metal again.
So, for me, I'm frightened of ATF. I don't know it was causing any problems since I never found the source of the flakes, but still, I'm going to chance it.

I do use it in forks as the fork oil on past bikes though. The seal swelling characteristics are great.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FWIW, I just picked up a few bottles of this. I LOVE Motul's premix, so this has got to be some good stuff. $6.25/ltr isn't too terrible, and I order stuff from this kart shop pretty regularly :neutral:

http://out2win.com/catalog/img/MTRANS.jpg

Now, If I can just find myself a good used price on one of these....$1900 new w/o carb and pipe :shock: :shock:

http://out2win.com/catalog/img/Sudam.jpg
Last edited by fuzzy on 12:32 pm May 11 2005, edited 1 time in total.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

skipro3, weren't you saying a couple of weeks ago that you were having fork seal stiction problems?? Now you are saying that ATF in your forks is great at making fork oil seals swell?? You can't have it both ways. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128