power valve set up?

Got questions? We got answers....
r1inoz

power valve set up?

Post by r1inoz »

ok so i have my 93 kdx running....not to well but its running none the less.
ok so my question is do the power valves/kips need to be set to a specific point?
it seems like it only revs to about half what it should judging by some videos ive seen on youtube.
the valve opens and closes freely but i can hold it flat and its like its against a rev limiter,only revving at about half of what it sounds like it should.i come from a road bike background(the r1 revs to 14k lol)so i know there not suppose to rev really high.
it just seems like it should rev more.
ill try and grab a sound file of it this arvo

all help is appreciated

andy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Is this the one with the water pump seal problem?

All kinds of things could be going on. Did you replace piston and rings while you had it apart? Not that you should, necessarily, I'm just wondering how far into this motor you've had to go.

The KIPS does have to be set right. I'm not so sure that set wrong would prevent it from revving in neutral, certainly would in gear under load. 'Course, lots of other things would, as well.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The left hand power valve likes to break in these bikes. That will cause it not to rev out, but not so much in neutral like Karl said. Definitely noticeable under load though.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '.. i can hold it flat..'

Meaning...what? WOT just sitting there? No load?

2-strokes kind'a sound like that anyway...especially when not at operating temperature. I wouldn't have any trouble applying your description to bikes I hear all the time, their loony owners thinking it's in some way a good thing to hold a WOT during what they think is a 'warm up' period. I've heard that referred to as 'cleaning it out'.

It's stupid.

If you're riding it and it sounds like that...it may be as simple as a fouled/fouling plug or bad gas..you having indicated it had been sitting for awhile.

Re: 'do the power valves/kips need to be set to a specific point..'

Absolutely. There is A 'point' they are 'set' to, meaning they go together only one, specific way..any/all other ways being wrong.

I may have missed something in my translation.

Happy Arvo! :rolleyes:

Merry Arvo? Arvo Bless You? ...Arvo'nother pint, mate!

Oy! Who can know it.......all sounds a dodgy make-up to me...something Fred Nerk would say.

Cheers!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

yes this is the water pump seal bike,i replaced both seals in the water pump and thats all fixed.
i did not change the piston and rings when i had it apart though.
it looked fairly good in there,no carbon build on on the piston or anything like that and the barrell was tidy/not scored or scratched.
the power valcve is opening and closing like it should when i rev it so i would assume its installed correctly.
yes its under no load when im revving it and i KNOW its bad to hold it flat.
they are unbreakable though!
canyncarvr no yr translation was correct and arvo=afternoon lol and who the hell is fred nerk???

throw another prawn on the bbq :partyman:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..the power valcve is opening and closing like it should...'

How is that determined?

Watching the main shaft move does not tell you that the subports are working correctly. If you take the pipe off, look up inside the exhaust port while manually operating the main rod and everything is both working and in time..then you know the 'stuff' is moving.

How does it run when you RIDE the thing?

I thought it was the RH subport drum that tended to break in 'E' bikes. It's one of 'em, that's a true fact.

Fred Nerk? Got that from some Oz translation site........ :wink:

Consider the source

r1inoz

Post by r1inoz »

Re: '..the power valve is opening and closing like it should...'

How is that determined?
yes stuck my head in there with the pipe off and manually operated the valve,opens and closes properly.

riding the thing did seem like it wanted to go but just didnt have the guts to get moving quickly,wanted to stall at low revs.
im gonna get kawasaki to tune it up and see if they can determine any more problems.
cost me 300 bucks for the bike so dont mind spending abit on it to make it go right!

this site is really awesome too!!never had a kawasaki before but....me likey

thanks for all yr help

the thunder from down under.

still dont know about this fred nerk bloke lol :grin:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'operated the valve,opens and closes properly..'

It's just english..but that statement bothers me. There isn't 'a' valve (as indicated by use of the definite article 'the') and 'opens and closes..' refers to a singular something.

There are three valves, two subport drums, one on either side of one main 'flapper'.

..and THEY would open and close properly. They would NOT opens and closes properly.

So....which are it? :rolleyes:

Re: 'riding the thing did seem like it wanted to go but just didnt have the guts to get moving quickly,wanted to stall at low revs.'

That's generally a jetting issue. It's NOT a jetting issue if you're trying a WOT snap in 3rd gear from a walking speed. That sort of thing comes from a carbie with no accelerator pump or similar circuit.

Having someone else tune your bike is most likely counterproductive AND a waste of $$. Do it yourself! If you don't know how to tune a 2T..learn. What you learn will hold you in good stead not only on your KDX but on any machine you ever ride.

Ask Fred here yourself. :wink:

Consider the source