Front brake question

Got questions? We got answers....
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Front brake question

Post by DirtDaddy »

The front brakes on my sons 2006 200 seem to be a bit "touchy" or "grabby", meaning they tend to grab with just a touch of lever. He does a good job with them, but it does make brake modulation on the loose, steep downhills tough, especially for a beginning rider. Is this common with the KDX's? It's a low mileage bike and has been this way since new. Any suggestions?
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

Havn't noticed it with my '04. One finger on the lever, very smooth IMO. He is just using one finger on the lever isn't he?
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

My (06) is smooth one finger also. First and obvious is your lever adjusted with some free play and working where you want it to?
Second, you might have some moisture in the brake system (fluid) and when it heats up the moister expands. It'll make pressure in the braking system causing the lever to be very sensitive or want it to lock up.
If your brake works fine when cold then starts to act up after riding most likely it's moister in the system.

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
DirtDaddy
Supporting Member

Post by DirtDaddy »

Thanks Guys. I'll check out the things you mentioned.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Don't forget brake basics: Grabbing=Contamination.

Buy a can of BraKleen..douse 'em. Best (most effectively) done with the pads removed.

Re: 'Is this common with the KDX's?'

No. They don't grab, they don't fade. I'm sure not all brake pads are created equal. I've used EBC scintered (not kevlar) and OEM pads and both have worked fine.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

CC
Has anyone tried the EBC Kevlar?? I just put a set on my KDX trying to get rid of the groaning noise the last pads were making haven't tried them yet.
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
80elkster wrote:CC
Has anyone tried the EBC Kevlar?? I just put a set on my KDX trying to get rid of the groaning noise the last pads were making haven't tried them yet.
I was thinking 'carbon' when I said 'kevlar'. RMMC doesn't list EBC kevlar pads for the KDX.

In '07:
kawagumby wrote: They used to make kevlar based too, but right now I can't find them for the KDX.
Where did you find them? The only thing I found (quick search) about EBC and kevlar is:
EBC brakes are blended with Kevlar fiber and bronzed Graphite powder to enhance the wear time of the ebc brake pad. The Carbon Graphite construction ensures a cool operation of the EBC brake disc pad, reducing heat transfer to the brake caliper and system.

As far as carbon:
kawagumby wrote:Carbon pads stay cooler but don't have quite the stopping power of the metallics and they don't work as well in mud and water, carbons also wear faster. I use carbons because they work better for me.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!