kdx250d1 - No spark

Got questions? We got answers....
bozzwoldo

kdx250d1 - No spark

Post by bozzwoldo »

Guys,

Can anyone help with a kdx250d1 model. I know there are'nt many out there but I can't get a spark! The plug and lead seem fine.
I need to know the function of the wires coming from the mag. It looks like one provides power and the others are earths.
I guess I could do with a wiring diagram so I can work out whether it's the coil or the CDI thats ****ed.
I can't purchase the 250d1 workshop supplement in the UK. So if anyone out there has a wiring diagram and would be willing to email/ post me a copy to the UK I would be indebted to you!

Here's hoping someone can help

Cheers

Bozzwoldo :rolleyes:
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

I don't have a 250 but I can't imagine that the wiring diagram is all that different (if at all) than our 200/220. I won't be down to the shop where my 200 manual is until this weekend so if nobody chimes in before then i'll scan the relevent sections and post them in my gallery. Perhaps that will be enough to get you going for troubleshooting it out.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Rather than assume...a couple of questions?

'Can't get spark' means what exactly? The plug won't spark out of the bike? Or the bike just won't start? If the latter, does a new plug do the same thing?

Check the resistance of the coil at some connector junction in the wiring harness. No, I don't know exactly what kind of numbers you should see...but two readings are certainly going to be bad..open/short. ;) Post your reading.

While you're at it, check for continuity of every wire (exciter, CDI etc).

Check all of your 'earths'. Meaning...don't just look at 'em, but unbolt them, recrimp them if you can, clean the spot on the frame they bolt to.

I looked through a few Google pages...didn't find any spec on the '91-93 KDX250.

You might try asking a couple quesitons @ rickystator.com, like what a commonly good resistance reading is of the exciter coil. Generally I don't think much of asking such questions of a business. They DO have other things to do than answer questions from folks that are not even their customer. If you would buy the coil from him if yours is bad, then an email might not be such a big deal. Better than a phone call (not likely from the UK I'm sure).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!