PROTECTOR BEAD INSIDE TIRE

Got questions? We got answers....
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

PROTECTOR BEAD INSIDE TIRE

Post by kdxquebec »

I replaced the rear tire last weekend (s-12) and noticed my bead lock thing is broken. The rubber part is almost gone. (stick-off) anybody had this problem.What is the best glue to use to put the rubber part in place? should i just buy a new one...bikebandit price is 57$ :shock: thanks for your inputs.phil
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Bike bandit is right!!! That's "git a rope!" price gouging in my neck of the woods.

I checked Rockymountainmc.com and they have the rim locks for about 8 bucks American.

To be sure we are talking about the same part it looks like this right?:

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Just buy a new one.

Buy an aftermarket bead lock, such as Motion Pro, Talon, etc. The Dunlop ones through OEM sources are ridiculously high!

On parts, ronayers.com is much cheaper. I only shop BikeBandit for OEM special tools, and that is when they have the oddball stuff available. 1 out of 3 on the last order, 2 out of 3 on the one before that. It's parts, not baseball. :sad:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Remember the Candadian $$ (and out of country) part...

Still, $57 is just stoopid.

Personally, I wouldn't try the glue track. Don't want the rim lock to be tightened against a joint that will give out then give some extra slack when it shouldn't.

Note the pic skipro posted. Many of the things don't have any rubber where the 'bite' is to start with. Some do. I'd remove the rubber from the other side to make the side-to-side bite match before I'd glue it.

If you're talking about the upper lip part...don't worry about it. The pic is of a type that doesn't have much of that part (as the oem does). That will make it just a bit more pain (hardly any..just pay attention) to get the rim lock inside the bead..it may hang up on the tire bead some.

BTW...rim locks are made to fit particular size rims. Know your rim width before you order/buy one.

Good luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

thanks guys.

skipro3 ...yes this is the part.

btw i check bikebandit because the price are listed and it give me an idea aprox of the price i should pay at my local dealer. (in cnd)

thanks for your advices...i will look for aftermarket ones and matche the old part with the new....

phil :mrgreen:
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Lutz
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Lutz »

For what it's worth, when I was putting my bike back into service last spring, the rubber came completly off of the rim lock. I thought I was in big trouble because I had a race the next morning (no shops open on Saturday night either). However, my buddy had contact cement of some sort. I cleaned up the rimlock really well, we "glued" it back together per the instructions. The results? It held really tight; I put the wheel back together, ran the same tire the rest of the summer with no problems.

I haven't taken it apart to look at it yet, but when I do, I'll probably replace the rim lock just to be safe.
Keep It Simple Stupid
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Keep in mind, the purpose of the rim lock is to keep the tire bead from slipping on the rim, usually due to too low of tire pressure and too much torque applied. When that happens, the valve stem of the tube usually gets damaged and the tire fails. So, keep your air pressure set to where it should be and there will be no problem. At least until you get a replacement. As CC said, these things are sized to the rim. Any brand rimlock for your size rim will do. You do not need a new one or even a Kawasaki KDX one. Any chance you can find a motorcycle wrecking yard to pick one up?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

If there was no bead lock, the tire could spin on the rim, ripping off the valve stem of the tube. If you get a flat, it is nice to have it stay on the rim.

kdxquebec - useless info time: your 1989 is ther first year they came with one on the front too.

If it is broke, just replace it. Motion Pro models are only around $13.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128