over size disc?

Got questions? We got answers....
udwall

over size disc?

Post by udwall »

so, i'm building a 04 kdx/06 kx125 hybrid & i think the kdx rear wheel will fit the kx, but i need a 240 mm disc for it. anyone know where i can get one? it would be nice to have an 18'' wheel for it plus i've got some 18'' ice racing tires i'd like to use some day thanks
The faster you fall behind the more time you have to catch up
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Isn't 240mm the OEM size? That's what RMMC lists as OEM, with 280mm being the size of their oversized rotor (front).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

I just bought KX 125 disk for mine last week and it fit fine with my 18'' wheeel.Mine is a 2000,but yours still should be ok.In my KDX service manual it says effective disc diameter 190 mm whatever that means.
udwall

Post by udwall »

i'm referring to the rear disc/wheel the kdx is 220mm and the kx is 240mm also the kx has 4 bolts and the kdx has 6 thanks
hockeyboysomers

Post by hockeyboysomers »

I don't think the wheels are interchangeable. I think the diameter of the KX axle is much larger. I have a 2004KDX and a 2003 KX / KDX hybrid. I will check right now(today) It would be a shame to spend money on a oversize rotor, only to have the wheel not fit the bike. Dave
hockeyboysomers

I just checked the diameter of the rear axle on both the 2003 KX and the 2004 KDX. The KX axle dia. is about 26mm. The KDX axle dia. is in the 20mm range. I can't be exact because I have a lame set of calipers. I didn't check to see if the outer size of the rear wheel bearings was the same on both wheels. If they were, maybe, you could swap the bearings and then it would work. I'm in the same boat, because I want to use my 18" trials tire on the KX hybrid. I think I will have to re-lace an 18" inch rim onto my KX hub. If you get it to work, post it here so I know how you did it. Thanks Dave
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
hockeyboysomers wrote: I will have to re-lace an 18" inch rim onto my KX hub. If you get it to work, post it here so I know how you did it. Thanks Dave
I was just going to say, wouldn't it be easier to lace up a 18" hoop?
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
hockeyboysomers wrote:I don't think the wheels are interchangeable. I think the diameter of the KX axle is much larger. I have a 2004KDX and a 2003 KX / KDX hybrid. I will check right now(today) It would be a shame to spend money on a oversize rotor, only to have the wheel not fit the bike. Dave
Well on my hybrid I have a 18" wheel and bought a disk for a KX125 and it has holes for 6 bolts and it fits.I just checked again and the disk is just touching the pin that holds the pad.So im going to get the disc turned down a little.I imagine the wheel came off a kdx.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
canuckhybrid125 wrote:>|<>QBB<
hockeyboysomers wrote:I don't think the wheels are interchangeable. I think the diameter of the KX axle is much larger. I have a 2004KDX and a 2003 KX / KDX hybrid. I will check right now(today) It would be a shame to spend money on a oversize rotor, only to have the wheel not fit the bike. Dave
Well on my hybrid I have a 18" wheel and bought a disk for a KX125 and it has holes for 6 bolts and it fits.I just checked again and the disk is just touching the pin that holds the pad.So im going to get the disc turned down a little.I imagine the wheel came off a kdx.
Just did another quick check,caliper was mounted wrong so the wear spot on the pin was from previous owner.The axle bolt is 20mm.
hockeyboysomers

I just checked the specs for a 200 kx125. In 2003 the rear axle and hub were changed to accommodate a 26mm axle. Prior to that year the rear axles were 20mm. I assume all the following years after 2003 share the same axle. The KDX axle is 20mm. It seems the years 2002 KX125 and earlier have the axle the same diameter as the late KDX's.
udwall

Post by udwall »

i measured the outer dia. of both kx & kdx bearings, they are the same. Canuckhybrid125 what size is the disc you've got & what year is it from?Where are you? Canada is a big place ya know. For you guys that have built a hybrid, do I have to cut off the front head stay or could I add a mount to the kx frame? Also has any one put an over size tank on a hybrid? thanks everyone for the help
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This thread being HERE...are you aware of THIS section specifically for hybrids and hybrid questions?

..might find out more pertaining to the subject there.

Consider the source

canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
udwall wrote:i measured the outer dia. of both kx & kdx bearings, they are the same. Canuckhybrid125 what size is the disc you've got & what year is it from?Where are you? Canada is a big place ya know. For you guys that have built a hybrid, do I have to cut off the front head stay or could I add a mount to the kx frame? Also has any one put an over size tank on a hybrid? thanks everyone for the help
Im in Ontario I have a 2000 kx frame,ordered the EBC disk from gnarly in BC.Ill see if I can measure the disk.
Last edited by canuckhybrid125 on 02:33 pm May 04 2009, edited 1 time in total.
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:This thread being HERE...are you aware of THIS section specifically for hybrids and hybrid questions?

..might find out more pertaining to the subject there.
Yes but the thread was posted here,maybe the mod can move it to the hybrid section.Thanks CC
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's the question about stays that got me to wondering...as ebeck goes into that a good bit: Which years have what stays where.

I kind'a figured out that it was posted 'here' :wink: . Point was to direct udwall to a forum that might answer some of his questions.

Consider the source

hockeyboysomers

I hope my KX and KDX wheels have the same outer bearing diameter. It would save me a couple hundred bucks, If I could swap the bearings, instead of relacing my rear wheel. I'm going to check, ASAP. Thanks Dave
udwall

Post by udwall »

thanks CC, I'm aware of the hybrid forum. I'm also a computer idiot, self taught ya know. The fact that I got here would amaze anyone that knows me. After my last post I found out about the gas tank on the hybrid forum. I got my motor & swingarm back from the machine shop & put it in the frame, now I think cutting the front stay off would be easier than fabbing a mount ( I'm kinda lazy, I'd rather finnish it quick & ride it) BTW my kx motor is 54lbs, kdx 61lbs think someone was asking for this. Get this, kx pipe & silencer 6lbs, kdx 14lbs! procircuit & shorty 6.5lbs, rev& pc2 9lbs. I noticed the pipe mount (rubber with plate on each side)on the kdx is steel on the kx it's aluminum. On the rear head stay, it appears I can move the mount side to side with out interfering with the stock tank. I assume oversize tank is the same, anyone know? I put the pc pipe on & can use stock mounts without moving anything. So cool! I wanna ride!