A favor pour your flavor?

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

A favor pour your flavor?

Post by canyncarvr »

Please...a measurement of the diameter of the kick lever knuckle from someone that's got one?

..which, I presume is most everybody that hasn't put the E-Button option on their KDX........

Thanks!

Why you ask? (You were gonna...you know you were....)

I'm having trouble keeping a clip on mine. They get deformed when the lever pushes against them (when kicked)...and want to come out of the groove. I bought a couple OEM clips, metric e-clips not being available at the local hardware store. But...the dealer handed me a couple of loose clips (no Kaw bag or label)..and they sure were small. I ordered a couple from RonAyers. THEY came in a KAW bag, with PN and all...but they are TOO BIG. Don't have to spread it to fit over the knuckle, so of course they don't snap into the groove, either!

I took the knuckle off..used the smallest file I've got (a tad too big anyway) to 'square' the groove. I figure the groove in the knuckle has gotten 'rounded' due to continued pressure put against it..the installed clips 'dish' when forced against that radius, which further deforms the groove, which makes the next clip dish more...and down the road to losing my kicker I go!

I've had some machine work done to the assy..the kicker was bored and bushed for a better/stronger fit (it's an FRP kicker), the knuckle I recall to have been 'dressed' to some extent..but NOT turned down..also for a better/stronger fit.

But (whew..so much yapping to get to this point :roll: ) howcome no clip I get from nowhere fits like it should?

Hence...how big is YOUR piece? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'll measure my piece when I get home. (FRP) I think I even have a worn out stocker.

Seems to me I've got a thin, flat washer under the clip. It prevents the kicker part of the kicker from contacting the clip, distributing the kick, all that kind of good stuff.

I've often wondered about that design. Why not drill and tap a hole in the center of the shaft and use a cap. Heck, the cap could have a 0-ring and keep some lube in-water out.

My kicker is getting kind of sloppy. It is three + years old.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:I'll measure my piece when I get home. (FRP) I think I even have a worn out stocker.

Seems to me I've got a thin, flat washer under the clip. It prevents the kicker part of the kicker from contacting the clip, distributing the kick, all that kind of good stuff.

I've often wondered about that design. Why not drill and tap a hole in the center of the shaft and use a cap. Heck, the cap could have a 0-ring and keep some lube in-water out.

My kicker is getting kind of sloppy. It is three + years old.

I have the washer on...and OEM one at that. Nothing at 'The Hardware Store' fit right. That's what pushes against the clip and bends it.

Why not? Indeed. Kickers on Banshees have nothing sticking OUT the top at all...it's sealed. Sure has less trouble keeping 'junk' out of it.

Yeah...this is my third, I think, kicker..and that's on a bike that starts cold in a couple kicks..and starts hot usually the first kick..maybe two..maybe a few after I've flipped it (read: NOT crashed!) or sumthin'.

Holy MOLY Rocky!!! I just checked FRP..his kickers are now $90!!! Washer/clip/o-ring prices are ouchy, too!

Something new on mine: The o-rings were still there!! First time I've EVER found them intact..and that is at least a year since I replaced 'em.

Consider the source

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

CC-
I measure the shaft diameter at .625, the bottom of the groove diameter at .565 and the groove width at .042.

It looks like McMaster-Carr # 98541A410 would be a good fit to those measurements.

Looking at the assembly I think it could be improved. That clip gets quite a load on it at the end of each kick.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'That clip gets quite a load on it at the end of each kick...'

Yep. Enough to knock the clip off, I can vouch for that!

Thanks much for the .000"! MUCH appreciated.

Dressing the top lip with a file seemed to help mine a good bit.

Sounds like a 9/16ths to me!

Consider the source