Piston circlip position

Got questions? We got answers....
hoodoo

Piston circlip position

Post by hoodoo »

I know that the excepted positioning of the piston circlip is at the 6 or 12 oclock position. I attached my piston yesterday and the clip opening was at the 4 oclock position. The clip is certainly secure in the circlip groove at this time. The ends of the clip are in the groove , not at the access cutout on the ring groove.
Installing the circlip is easier said than done. I didnt want to over stress it the clip and I didnt want it to go flying away. The last thing I want is a circlip coming off wrecking my cylinder. I have seen to many pics from KDX owners of clips that have dislodged themselves and had it ruin thier cyl.
Do I need to take off the piston circlip and readjust to the 6 or 12 position?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

In a word... YES! Check my gallery (Circlip and the Damage Done!)
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

DO NOT remove and reuse a circlip. If you remove a piston circlip, replace it. If the gap is at 4 o'clock, then try 12 o'clock.

My gallery has a picture where a previous owner / dumbass put it in wrong and wasted $600 of parts within a couple of minutes.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Can't you reorientate the clip while its in the goove?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

Thanks for the advice. I have seen those ugly pics in Inda's gallery and I dont want my cyl ending up like that.
The circlip is pretty tight in the groove, I dont know if a guy could slide the circlip around to a 6 or 12 oclock position. I will give it a try, if not they come out and new clips go in.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I've tried to spin 'em around... don't work... the clip grabs onto the aluminum. :neutral:

Gotta pop 'em out and get new ones. I have tried all kinds of different ways to get 'em in... the best way I have found is between the thumb and index finger... and push 'em in with the other index finger on the other hand.

Has anyone else found this to be true? No tool damage either...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Another amazing fact....

I have found that the Weisco circlips are of much better quality than Pro-X's. Better spring steel!
Just have your dealer mic 'em for size and get the Weisco clips. He should have a divider box full of 'em..... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've read the 'You must place the clip...' thus and so quite a few times. I'm in the group of 'don't buy it.'

From Mr. Gorr:
EG wrote:Always (my emphasis) install the circlips with the opening facing straight up or down, that way inertia will hold it tight into the clip groove

Please consider: The piston travels up and down. A clip placed such that the gap is at either 12 or 6 o`clock will in one of the directions (depending on which o`clock) tend to compress (get smaller) considering inertia as the issue.

Besides, you can read all sorts of 'Thou SHALT!!'s when it comes to where to put the gap and I'm sure every one of the authors is an expert! :roll:

From HERE:
The proper (my emphasis) way to install a circlip is to position one end of the clip in the groove with the other end at 30deg. past the cut out.

The only real error is matching the two gaps, piston and clip. (That assuming the clip fits like it's supposed to in the first place...NOT like some Wiseco's do) Makes it real tough to get the clip out! :shock:

re:
Inda wrote:..the best way I have found is between the thumb and index finger... and push 'em in with the other index finger on the other hand.
I couldn't squeeze that hard with my fingers! (..and, my fingers don't fit INside the hole, either! ;) ) I start one end of the clip in the groove, cover that part of the pin with a thumb to keep it from going 'sproing!'... then use a mechanic's scribe placed in the piston slot to lever it in.

That's my story............and I'm stickin' to it!

BTW...not true of circlips, but retaining clips (the ones you use snap ring pliers on?) generally have a radiused edge and a flat edge. The flat edge faces out..the radiused edge faces the pin. If you're rebuilding a motor with clips of that type, you'd better be damn sure you get the sharp edge out! OR... use just spiro locks!! They be goin' NOwhere!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I'm with CC on the clip positioning. I've installed them for over 35 years and did not pay any attention to clip opening position (until the last 3-4 years) and never had any failures. My personnal belief is that many circlip failures are from using tools in an attempt to install the circlips. I've seen screwdrivers and needle nose pliers used extensively.

I install them by hand and it does NOT take alot of hand strength. I insert the open end of the clip into the wrist pin bore at a 45 degree angle and push it in until the circlip is flush with the outer side of the piston. A finger is then used to push the top portion into the wrist pin bore. If your installing the circlip into a piston without a wrist pin in the bore it is possible that the clip may go past the clip's groove. Slipping the wrist pin into the wrist pin bore from the opposite side and gently pushing on it will straighten the clip and it will drop into the groove: keep your thumb over the other opening. On smaller pistons some times it is easier to use a small nut driver to push the clip "home" if your finder is too large. Easier and quicker to do than to describe!! :roll:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

I posed the circlip position question to several people at work today and the answers vary, some just put them in, others bide by the 6 or 12 oclock rule. I was reading my sons cr80 manual and it has very detailed instructions on how to replace the piston, cylinder ect, but about the circlip it says to install in the groove and becareful not to lose them down into the crankcase. No circlip positon installation instruction at all.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Do what makes you feel comfortable... I do! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I never heard of the circlip position being at 6 or 12 until the last few years. I'm wondering if the ultrahigh reving racing four strokes (and crotch rocket bikes) are what brought out the 6 or 12 orientation. recommendation. ??

The newer generation 4 strokes are turning a lot more rpms and thus inertia , stresses forces are mutiplied.

Shifter cart people may have information concerning circlip positioning being critical or not in their engines. Some of those scream pretty good.

FWIW - I now do install clips in the 6 or 12 position but it is a - just because what can it hurt attitude - verses a belief that it is really necessary for engines running the kind of rpms our KDXs run.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

I pulled the cyl and pulled the circlips out a little bit and was able to move it around. One is at 6 and the other is at 12. I felt better after that. But if the clip comes out I am blaming you guys :)
The circlip positioning is probably a rule that is made up just to give people a guide as to what they should do when installing the circlips. I cant really see it coming out if it is clipped into the groove securely. I havent built many engines so I really appreciate the advice from those who have.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

ALERT ALERT DO NOT FINGER WRESTLE IDAHOCHARLIE HE PUTS CIRCLIPS IN WITH HIS FINGERS. just kidding ic
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

wiseco circlips are a muth**f*c*k*ng b*t*h
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

So I take it you don't like 'em... :shock: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

no i like em there just harder to get in than the oem kawa stuff. man your up late or am i up early?

off topic my friend from work just got back from new zealand i didnt get the name of the place but he said it was out in the country and he said there were no hotties there. are all the hotties in the city? when i was in the navy i met a couple cuties from nz. maybe he was in the wrong place
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I am of the nocturnal species. :lol: My mates call me 'Owl'. To answer your question I posted that post at 6.51pm Aussie time. Not late but I am always here after midnight sometimes until 4-5am. Since having eye surgery and being unable to work I have got into a bad sleeping pattern. Usually alseep about 3-4am and awake by 12 noon. There are indeed some hotties in NZ but like anywhere they also have there (woof woof's). Aparently some awesome riding over there too. Michelle from DRN is from NZ and a few of my mates are from there, they all say bring ya bike if ya comin....

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."