just put in the new wiseco piston!

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

just put in the new wiseco piston!

Post by the trail rider »

took my time with the bike and started last night and took everything apart and labeled with bags and everything so I didn't lose anything, and everything can go back where it is supposed to. the biggest pain is cleaning and dissasembling the kips system, even though the valves moved very freely, I still dissasembled them and cleaned it out. although this is my maiden voyage into the kdx engine it was fairly simple and the service manual really helps too. everything looked good for having a 2 smoke run for 7 years without the top end apart the only real carbon was on the main valve and it was only surface carbon and easily cleaned by brake clean and a rag. getting the system back together and lining up the valves is kind of a fun job. they are supposed to be open to the resonator when sitting correct? the best part about the job was looking at my cylinder and seeing barely any scratches in it as well as taking my 220 piston out with a couple of scratches in it with a very tiny hairline fracture on the inside of the skirt next to the wrispin hole. couldn't see it from the outside but could definitely see it from the inside. very lucky on my part to catch it before she blew. just have to get my head back from ron (i gave it to him today) so I can finish putting it back together, break it in make sure my jetting is on and go have some fun with it. next project is to make my little brother save up enough money so he can do his 220 too before his blows up. Thanks guys for all your help and suggestions, this sit is invaluable in its information on how to get the most out of your bike and the fun you have with it. Tyler
the trail rider

dang ron is the best I gave my head to him today at noon and he just emailed me back saying it was done and I could pick it up tommorow morning, he is definitely the best machinist I have met so far, me being only 18, that only makes a couple. props to rbd. Tyler.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ron is a rolling stone.... he gathers no moss! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: ' they are supposed to be open to the resonator when sitting correct?'

Yes. The left one, anyway. :wink:

Another way to look at it..both of them are closed to the pipe (exhaust port) when 'at rest'.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
the trail rider

the bike runs amazing. I used castor 927 racing premix to break it in, It was the only premix I could find that didn't say synthetic any where on it. going to switch back to my torco gp7 after a couple a tanks though. when i first rode it I could swear to you I heard both piston rings seat it was kind of like a popping noise just for a fraction of a second(scared the hell out of me) first one then two a couple of seconds later and then the bike started to run a lot better and pull stronger i kind of stumbled a little bit before that and was kind of shaky. any way the bike had never run better. I took it out to a buddy of mines house and he had a field I could ride on for a while i rode it probably two times and let it sit for a little while before I got to really get on it. the bike pulled extremely strong off the bottom end like it did completely stock but then mid range and top end were much stronger. I am sure ron had everything to do with that. It did not rev out like it did before though so my thoughts were it is still breaking in and maybe my jetting is a tad off. today I swapped in the cek needle at no 4 position and moved down to a 148 main and adjusted my air screw in an 1/8 turn and wow is the bike peppy. it has way more hit than the dek needle. i like it for now ( only could try in my driveway) we'll see about how it goes at jones creek this weekend. amazing how a different taper needle makes the bike ride completely different . It is also pretty cool how the bike can ride 1st through 4th gear wheelies pulling off the bottom end. :supz: .

Tyler
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

One'a those Jones Creek riders 'eh?

Talk to DougB. about his mamby pamby ride down here in the State of Jefferson.

I think he was pretty much bored to tears most of the weekend..........
:wink:

Good to hear it went well!

Enjoy your next trail ride...bet you'll be plumb happy with it!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!