HID PROTOTYPE

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

HID PROTOTYPE

Post by Indawoods »

OK... here is the headlight shell setup. All this is possible because of the new 100 Watt Lighting Coil.

The Ballast mounts directly to the headlight shell with double sided stick tape that was supplied with the ballast. The H6M bulb was a direct replacement for the stock bulb although there are caveats....

You will have to take the stock bulb connector apart and use the spring and connector shell for mounting as the HID setup does not provide these parts. The good news is that it is very easy to do and there is no fabrication skills needed and if done right it is just like a stock setup.

The HID bulb comes without the connectors on the two leads.... this is a good thing since you have to fish the wires through the stock bulb housing before attaching the connectors because you will never get the connectors off once you have connected them. I wish I would have paid more attention to this since I connected them and then tried to figure out how to mount the bulb. So, I just saved you $35... Donations accepted! :mrgreen:

I used the ty-wraps to tidy up the cables and keep them secure and in place... again... minimal fabrication skills needed. I am using this as a journal on how to mount and use a HID setup on your KDX.

OK... this is how it look... pretty slick huh? It is waterproof according to the manufacturer...

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Night-time comparison pics?
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It is not installed yet... I will post a nightime pic when it is completely installed. I just got the wiring harness worked out to support the system. A rectifier and capacitor was needed to complete the systems electrical requirements.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

Watch out for melting lens/housing.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

HID lights produce less heat that conventional lighting... from what I've read anyway.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That looks really sweet! Nice work!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

One of my friends did this modification too. He installed 2 HID PIAA car fog lights. Night Rides with this setup is perfect. Look at some pictures he took.

'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Well... I am a ring terminal and a bullet terminal away from trying it out... :?

Back to the hardware store in the morning! :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Nice photos there Quebec. When was that taken, mid day on the winter solstice?

Looking forward to your results Vince!

Brad showed me his coil. Is that one of yours? 'Course it wasn't installed. We were lucky he had tires installed. Wait. He didn't have tires installed!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

All wired up... very bright but acts like a strobe light. I am afraid a battery will be required to run an HID lighting system on the KDX. I am very hopeful and will not give up on this project but I will have to put it to bed for now.... H&M ride is next week and I do not think I can find a suitable battery locally to get it solid before the ride. I will pick it back up upon returning. The good thing is that the wiring works with either system but is just that much better....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The best small battery I have found is this one... anyone know of a better one?

http://www.trailtech.net/040-BATT3.7.html
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Might have a reprieve...

Found this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0193341959

Ordered one and will give til Wednesday to get it before I convert it back....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet, now onto the microsquirt :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

You may be able to use a capacitor instead....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I tried a big cap... nothing seems to get rid of the pulse...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I wish I'd seen this. I would have recommended a 3 cell LiPo or LiIon pack for this project. I have several things in my RC work area that would have worked perfect! Let me know how the NIMH works out.
4x4fab

Post by 4x4fab »

any more progress on this? I'm very interested...
4x4fab.com
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

bump
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I haven't worked on it in a while. The problem is when rectifying the circuit it looses too much in the translation to run efficiently.

I still have the battery but haven't tried it yet.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****