Kicker / Start Issues

Got questions? We got answers....
Byte

Kicker / Start Issues

Post by Byte »

All,

I need some assistance in gettting my bike to start agin.

I started it this monring fine - then I performed my planned operation to replace the worn shift shaft.

I successfully replaced this worn shift shaft and put everything back together.

Now, I cannot start bike becuase it seems the kicker does not fully go down and there seems to be no resistance I normally feel you get from the piston compression working, etc..

I think either the kicker shaft does not fully rotate or I have jammed something up inside the case... :-(

Can anyone assist here?

BTW - I had to remove (and re-install) the clutch basket to access the shift shaft.

I have obviously changed something and not done somehtign right to have this occur..

Help?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sound like the you didn't assemble the kicker spring and gear properly...

Do you have a manual?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

i have the manual - thanks.

I had to replace the shift shaft so I had to take off the case, clutch basket, etc. to perform this task.

THe kicker spring and gear was not touched.

Is it the kicker or something else that is causing this feeling of no compression when kicker is pushed down..?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It either catches or it doesn't. If it is not catching it just blows through the stroke.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

THanks Indawoods.

How could the kicker spring and gear be affected if I only removed (and then re-installed) the clutch basket and shift shaft?

Obvously, I have to operate again.

When I open her up, what should I be looking for and adjusting on the kicker spring and gear to ensure everything is engaged?

Byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keep in mind the kicker gear is keyed on kicker idle gear which in turn rides on the clutch gear... I would say you don't have your clutch fully seated....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Take the side cover off again and watch the kick mechanism work. It should be easy to see what's wrong.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The kicker assy has malfunctioned when the cover has been taken off and 'not touched' before.

Take it apart again to find out what spring came off of where.

You're aware of the washer configuration of the clutch basket? It's easy to misplace one of 'em if you aren't specifically looking for it.

Missing the washer won't cause what you describe...but as long as it's coming apart again..might as well check it, too.

If you KNOW that washer's in there..then maybe you won't have to take the clutch off again to re-place whatever's misplaced in the kicker assy.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks boys.

Looks like another open heart open operation.

Scapel..............

Byte