Bad sound

Got questions? We got answers....
Dale

Bad sound

Post by Dale »

Before I start tearing down my 98 KDX220, I thought I might ask for ideas. Bike history: 4 years ago all new crank, all bearings, cylinder and engine cases. Don't ask! Three new top ends the last one was 4 months ago. 30 -50 hours hours on the latest top end. Trail riding at Hatfield Mcoy. Yesterday, I dumped it going over a large log. Really just dropped it when I was trying to get rear tire over it. Picked it up within 10 seconds. Would not start. Felt like little to no compression. Up to that point it ran great. Swapped out a new spark plug and held my finger over the hole to check compression. It did pop my finger off when kicked. Still would not fire up. Tried to push start it and sputtered but would not start. Pushed it again and it started and ran great the rest of the day. A couple hours. Then in 5th or 6th gear I noticed a "chatter" when I backed off the throttle. Not all the time, but often. I got to a hard road and got on it to see what was happening. Still running real strong but "chatters" when I let off the throttle. It's worse in higher gears. I am hoping Kips valve or gear. The sound is similar to a loose chain. No, the chain isn't loose!! If I get back on it it goes away untill I let off. Doesn't appear to be stripped gears. I haven't drained the oil to see what's in there yet. Any ideas?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dale... that is a lot of topends for a KDX... but it does sound like it may be the KIPS causing the noise. A topend teardown will verify it.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Dale

Post by Dale »

I was one of those guys with a stock KDX piston that blew up and went through the bottom of the cases. I needed the bike back quick and it cost me $2400 to repair. I had the bike ( used) for three weeks. I didn't know about ebay believe it or not. Anyway, I change them out with wiesco about every year or so. I sure hope it's the kips.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Could be clutch plate chatter too.... I would check that first.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "