trials tires

Got questions? We got answers....
island220
Supporting Member

trials tires

Post by island220 »

Has anyone tried running a trials tire. if so what brands, and any issues with flats, and wear. any recomendations would be helpfull.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I run a Dunlop 803 trials tire on my '00 KDX200. It works great if you are just riding trails and such. Get a tubeless type tire and a extra heavy duty tube for it and go. It would also be adviseable to put a second rimlock in it also. That's just my opinion though on the second rimlock.Never got a flat on any of my trials tires :shock: Michelin will be the most expensive, IRC are pretty good. I here that Perelli makes one now also. What ever you choose, it will be better than a knobby for sure for woods riding.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have roughly 50 hours on my Pirelli MT43 trials tire. The best purchase I have made since buying my KDX.

The Pirelli is not a competition trials tire though. It is designed after the trials tires, but aimed specifically at trail riding. Stiffer sidewalls to prevent pinch flats, and a slightly harder compound. I have an IRC trials tire in the basement and will be trying it soon. I'm skeptical that it can be that much better than my MT43 though. I have been extremely impressed with the traction provided by the Pirelli at about 6-8psi on the trails. Simply incredible. Pulling wheelies out of the corners is very very fun. The additional traction takes some adjustment to riding style though, so if you switch, give it some time to get used to it.

J.
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I run the Dunlop 803 at 10 psi. I think it hooks a little better than the IRC, however the IRC is still leaps better than a knobby. I think they are the best thing going with two exceptions.

1. Really, really, super dooper, soupy muck.(where nothing works worth a crap)

2. If you like to brake slide into corners. Brake sliding is not predictable enough for the really fast guys who slide into corners all the time.

I run a standard tube mounted inside an old heavy tube that I cut the stem off and split down the middle and booted the tire with. It is a Bee-Otch to mount but I have been doing this on all tires for a lond time and never get flats. I will run this set-up down to 6 psi with a knobby and no pinch flats ever. I only run one bead lock on the KDX, but it might not hurt to have two especially on a 250mx'er.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

thanks for the feedback,sounds good I think I will try the pirelli should be here on tue
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Just to add my .02, I ran the Pirelli MT43 exclusively last season. I ride everything from tight, steep, slimy woods, to open desert. I love the tire in all types of terrain (yes, even in the desert).

It provides unbelievable hook-up all of the time. I ran it at about 8 lbs. for the woods stuff, and 12 lbs. for the desert. I run it with a IRC heavy duty tube and 1 rimlock. Over 700 miles with no problem, that includes high speed desert terrain.

Like mentioned above, you can ride this tire at high speed with no problems (DOT approved), and you can still brakeslide with fairly predictable results.

I ran it back to back with a Michelin X-11 trials tire ($150 tire) and found I liked the Pirelli better because it does not roll on the rim like the X-11 and feels more stable.

I agree that it doesnt work great in nasty mud, but nothing really does. For example, last year I was riding with my brother and cousin in some cement like mud in the Fall. Both my brother and I with the MT43 and my cousin with a Vulanduro which is a pretty good mud and all around tire. He struggled just as much, if not more than we did. You just have to clear it out every once in a while and it will get traction.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am sold on these tires!
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Which one has the stiffer sidewall and can be run flat? Also concerned about losing knobs....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

The Pirelli has a way stiffer sidewall than the X-11 and I believe Dunlop.

I dont know about running it flat, but if you did get a flat, obviously a stiffer sidewall tire would be beneficial.

It has been noted from others who have run the X-11 and Dunlop that if you run them at high speeds and/or on hardpack, they will loose the middle knobs, even throw them.

Since the MT43 is DOT approved, you wont have any problems there.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like a winner to me... since the rubber is not as soft as the others, and has a stiffer sidewall....

Especially after reading this review... the Pirelli wins hands down for me...

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0 ... index.html
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I ran my S12 fully flat once and didn't even know it besides having the best ride of my life! So running flat is very important to me.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Inda,

That's one of the many reviews I read before settling on the MT43. I have been very happy with it. I have run the pressure as low as 4lbs in the mud and didn't have any problems with pinch flats. I think totally flat it would at least get you back to the truck!

J.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

I run the X-11 tube tire, very happy with it. For $89 it's a great deal, I bet it raised the ride height in the rear about one inch. Extremely tacky rubber and soft sidewall. I also like that it does not dig like a knobby.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... environmental impact is going to be a huge factor in the coming years... If we take the first steps... the econazi's have less ground to stand on...

We are getting close to having electric bikes that are affordable and have about as much impact as hiking.... I don't know what they will say and think then....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

I am about to order a MITAS trials tire as it is the only DOT trials tire that I could get for less than $150 Canadian. I think its $89 and its's a Radial and the Pirelli is a bias ply, I think. That should give the MITAS even better gripping ability.
I am going to run it with a Nuetech TuBliss full circumference rim lock with no tube at all. No more pinch flats and because the bead is secured all the way around, you CAN run flat to get you home (and you can plug the hole in your tire if you like).
Can't wait! I will post pics are a review when I get them mounted.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Right on. I'd like to hear some first hand opinions on the Mitas. They are not very widely used in the US, and I haven't heard much about them good or bad.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: trials tires

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
island220 wrote:Has anyone tried running a trials tire. if so what brands, and any issues with flats, and wear. any recomendations would be helpfull.
I ran a Kenda in Idaho last year. Chose it 'cuz that's what was on the rack at the time.

No complaints about it at all. Idaho has some rocks, and while I didn't run my normal choice of dirt tire for comparison (I had one with me..didn't use it), I had no problem with the Kenda tire at all. It's not a true trials tire..., but I'm glad I didn't need to deal with the rock-throwing a good knobby would have done.

Rode for four days..couple hundred miles..no flats, wore well.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
island220
Supporting Member

Post by island220 »

Tried the pirelli today, was running s12 on front and 130 m12 on back,this worked pretty good, ride mostly tight woods lots of roots and logs. the pirelliis about 3 pounds heavier and a good inch taller barely fit running 13-49 for gears, the tire seemed to go on rim really easy. the best way to describe them is there smooth,you dont bump over logs or roots like you would with nobs, I tried hitting logs as slow as possible to test rear grip its pretty cool they really grab and its easier to predict after you get used to the way they grab, gonna give them the big test this weekend. You guys were right on thanks again
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Ordered my TuBliss today and my Mitas ET-01 Trials Tire. Supposed to be here in 2-5 days. Can't wait to try it out.
2002 KDX 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

TuBliss.... interesting. :hmm:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

If it works out well, I'll be getting a TuBliss for the front as well. Won't have to worry about flats as much, and i won't be pinching tubes during installs anymore. That just sucks!!
2002 KDX 200