trials tires

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Run 5lbs of pressure if you want without pinch flats... that's what I'm talkin about! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

That's what I was thinkin'
2002 KDX 200
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Sweet....Wonder how those would work for street too?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I guess combined with Slime it practically flat proof. I think I will give that a go....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Got my trials tire today....but my TuBliss is backordered until june. AARRGGHH!!

Oh well, I'll put the tire on anyways but run a little more pressure and hope for the best.
2002 KDX 200
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Tubliss wrote:VIRTUALLY FLAT PROOF
TUbliss really is virtually flat proof when used with a tire sealant.
So...if you don't mess up everything with slime..it's virtually not flat proof?

The video on their site doesn't show slime being used.

Backordered 'til June huh.

Must be popular to start with anyway.

I wanna hear a ride report!

Watched the mounting video..then read the pdf.

This sort of thing gets real high points from me....the way the guy puts the liner on the rim in the video is exactly opposite of the way they say you have to do it in the pdf file.

It's not rocket science or anything...but how about person 'A' talks with person 'B' and the end result is they agree on what the hell they're sayin'!!!

Dumb f(*%&!

Ha! Gotta love this, too. You must inflate to a MINIMUM of 100psi!!! 110? Oh no..THAT will destroy everything!!, invalidate your warranty, give you a canker, AND probably make summa your body parts fall off!!

Kind'a picky ain't it?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Wow, that 14 tooth sprocket sure gives the KDX more legs. 100kph feels better than 80 kph felt with the 12 tooth sprocket. I think it may be a little much for something like single track, though.

The Trials Tire sure does grip! Even with the 14 tooth sprocket, 3rd gear wheelies - no problem. 50kph, blip the throttle and she wheelies. This tire does not spin, just grips. I'm not sure if I will like it if I put the 12 tooth back on. I will loop it for sure. All this and I'm running 12 lbs in it. Once I get the TuBliss, I plan to run 5 or 6 lbs. Grip, Grip, Grip.

By the way, the TuBliss is backordered until sometime in June.

The tire is a Mitas ET-01, if I didn't mention it before.
2002 KDX 200
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Can you post a pic of the Mitas? I wonder how it compares to my Pirelli?

I also hear Maxxix might come out with a trials tire or trials type tire.
'
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Awesome tire so far!!
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Dude, that's looks identical to the pirelli. I thought Pirelli was the only one who didn't use the square knobs on their trials tire. See how the V shape groove on the sides of the center tread match perfectly with the opposite V shape edge on the outside treads? Nifty, I thought.

*edit*

Oh hey, I went and googled images for MT43 and came up with motorcycle superstores image of the Pirelli MT43 as one of the 1st results. I was gonna post a comparison shot, since they looked so similar. Guess what? It's the image you linked to!

Here's what I find for the Mitas...
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

I was on my Photobucket site and I didn't look too close at it, I picked the Pirelli by mistake. Your pic is the Mitas. Sorry.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

No reason for sorry, I was at first shocked (and a little excited) that Mitas was using the same tread pattern that pirelli did.

At any rate, the Mitas looks like a good tire. I'm glad it's working out for you!
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Nice thing about the Mitas is that it is a radial unlike the pirelli.
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The nice thing about the pirelli is that it is a bias unlike the mitas :D

lol, seriously though. That's the main reason for my choosing the pirelli. Stiffer bias ply sidewalls, more stable at high speeds, suffers only a small amount of traction loss when compared to the radial trials tires. For me it seemed better as an "all around" tire. Trying out the IRC very soon on my buddies KDX.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

That is exactly why I chose the Pirelli. It amazes me how it performs in such a wide variety of terrain.

You can still brake slide into corners with it, high speed terrain and cornering dont cause it to roll like the radials.

It probably does not hook up quite as good as a radial, but not enough to outway the advantages it has over them.
'
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

I have been trying mine out on the road lately to see how this tire holds in cornering.

The KDX is no speed machine on the road, but I did some sharp corners last night at about 110 kph or about 70 mph and found no difference in handling as compared to the Trackmasters I usually ride with. Now I have to mention that I am running 11 pounds or so in the Mitas. I'm not sure what it will be like as I get more comfortable with the lower pressures.

And the sidewalls on this seem to be stiff. It was a bitch to install. I thought a "soft" trials tire would be easier to install than a regular knobby...but not so.

I'll know better, the more I get to ride with this tire. I'll keep you posted.
2002 KDX 200
xagentman

Post by xagentman »

I had the same questions about that the MT-43.. and I love it..

Here was the first thread.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... light=mt43
==05 KDX220R==
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

Got my first real ride in on the Mitas trials tire on the weekend of May 30th.

I decided to try 8 lbs on the first morning and had a flat in the first half hour. Big old slice in the sidewall about 3/4" long and cut the tube. Don't know if it was the tire or just bad luck. My first ever flat on the trail in many years of riding.

Anyway, patched the tube (about 1/2 hour) and rode it hard for the rest of the day (about 10 hours). We rode tight single track, to fast dirt roads, to stupid fast rocky washed out roads - no more flat problems, but I did have 12 lbs back in the tire.

Anyway, the tire performed admirably. I found the grip awesome where I needed it and I found that mud gave me no more problems than it gave the guys on DOT knobbies or full motocross knobbies. If it packed up my tire, it packed up theirs.

Not sure if I dare keep riding on that cut tire though. Is there any way to save the tire or should I just toss it? Is there some kind of patch for the inside of the tire to keep debris from entering the tire?
2002 KDX 200
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Hmm. That is discouraging. I can run 6-8lbs in the pirelli without fear of pinch flats. I wonder if something sliced the side of the tire, or if it was a defect, or if it did in fact get pinched.

I know of no repair for a cut in the sidewall of a tire. I'd wager that it is trashed.
ThePearl

Post by ThePearl »

It was definitely not a pinch flat. It got cut by a sharp rock or something. Just random bad luck, I think. I may still ride it close to home and short rides.
2002 KDX 200