Differences in engines over the years

Got questions? We got answers....
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Differences in engines over the years

Post by Tedh98 »

I'm wanting to do a hybrid with a kdx 200 motor. What years were the engines the same? Like '88 - '95 and '96 +.

I've found a cheap '92, but I'm curious how outdated that engine is. I've got an '86 kx 250 that I can't find parts for and don't want to run into a similar situation with a '92 engine.

Thanks for the help.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

89-94 are the same... 95 and up are the same on the 200 and 97 and up are the same on the 220.

I personally like the 89-94 motor better than the 95 and up but they like to chew up KIPS drum gears...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

Thanks for the quick reply. One last question, I think. When they changed the 200 in '95, did the entire engine change (from the cases to the cylinder & head) or where the changes limited to certain aspects of the engine?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is if I set-up the frame for a '92, would I be able to bolt in a '95+ a couple of years from now without having to make changes?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The motor along with the frame was a complete redesign... sorry.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
mhosfelt

Post by mhosfelt »

I just bought a 92 that has never had the motor apart. It runs perfect. starts with 1 or 2 kicks even after it was completely under water. I ride mostly in tight woods and I am amazed how proficient this 17 year old motorcycle is at this task.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

I bought this '92 for $100, we'll see if I can fit it in a yz 125 frame. If I can make it fit, I hope I have several more years of being able to get parts for the engine before everything dries up.