Kdx or kx

Got questions? We got answers....
braves10

Kdx or kx

Post by braves10 »

I have a chance to trade my 05 200 with low hrs to an 06 kx 250 never been raced just trail ridden was wondering what you people would do both are stock the kx has a pro circ exh
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Depends where & how you ride....Ask yourself why they are willing to go the other way!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Keep the KDX, buy the KX.

I've never met anyone who's said "I used to have one of them KDX's. Glad I got rid of it!"

I miss my KDX and I still use the motor....
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
braves10

Post by braves10 »

He wants something alittle more tame
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

He wants something a little more tame 'cuz a KX250 can be a handful. If you exceed the KDXs capability, then maybe a 250 is for you. The former is very unlikely, the latter at least a possibility.

A stock KX250 is going to be more than a handful..it's going to beat you to death..then run over your arse. At the least it will need a revalve front and back to do a half fast decent job in the woods. Probably a flywheel weight.

You know..or at least think you know..what it is you're after.

The reason this isn't a KXRider board is it's a KDXRider board. There's a reason for that.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
braves10

Post by braves10 »

That's what I thought to the kdx I'd the first new bike I've owned so I guess others have traded away an now want it back
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If you're used to a YZ...maybe the KX would be more your cup of tea. It just depends is all...on what you ride, how you ride, what you're comfortable with.

It's pretty much apples and oranges. The KDX just isn't a KX..and vice versa. It's not really that one is better than the other...they're just different.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's my take;
A KDX is woods ridable stock. It improves with upgrades as you gain experience.

A KX is a MX track bike and not woods ridable stock. You will stall it so many times if you try that you will hate life itself. It requires upgrades before you can gain experience on it in the woods.

So, why do KDX riders sometimes migrate to a KX? It's usually the KDX owner who maxxed out the KDX hop-ups and wants another project. Plus the fact that gobbs of power are hard to compensate for. Nothing can get you out of trouble like a fist full of throttle when you need it. BUT you need to be very experienced on the bike's performance or it will get you into trouble much more frequently.

A fine example of that is the last ride Carvr and I did in Idaho. He had a KDX, I had a KX and our guide had a KX. The guide was experienced with his bike and no one could get close to him unless he wanted us to. The KDX was so well matched to the trail that it was very intuitive to ride. Me on my KX did O.K. It worked fine for me because of the extensive modifications I did to it; not the least of which was an auto clutch to keep the stalling down to a minimum. But it still bit my ass once and decided to check out a creek below a steep side hill trial. I launched that bike off that mountain and down to the rushing water. Somehow the willows caught it just before it went into the drink. This wasn't your quiet little babbling brook. This was several feet deep of rushing water. I doubt I could have retrieved the bike and if I did, I doubt I could have gotten it running, back on the trial and to camp. I would have needed to be prepared to leave it there as a warning other riders.

There's lots of info on here along these same lines, thoughts and preferences. Search and read, then be brutally honest with yourself on what you want in the ultimate dirt bike. Then decide which bike would best meet that need; a KDX with upgrades or a KX that is detuned and set up for woods.
Good luck!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

Here's what I tell people when they ask why I'm riding a KDX-200.

I pretty much know my limitations. If my bike is set up I know I can corner at a certain speed. I know I can ride a certain speed through a whooped out section. I know I can ride so many miles until I can't get my fat ass off the seat any longer. No matter which bike I'm on, a $9000.00 KTM, a shiny new thumper, big, small, old, new, the bike wont change my riding much anymore. I wont be making the ISDE world team and you sure as hell wont see me in any mags. I ride the KDX because I want too, it's fun, and I don't need to impress anyone but myself.

If you think you need a faster bike than the KDX, next time you go riding twist your throttle to the stop and duct tape it there.

Now ride!

04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
braves10

Post by braves10 »

Cool takes on everything I think I'll hold on to her alittle longer plus I have my yz to mess with I'll just sink some money In the ol kdx
05KDX200
04yz250
04kx85
06pw50