Shock Linkage Rebuild

Got questions? We got answers....
john316

Shock Linkage Rebuild

Post by john316 »

I have a Pivot Works linkage kit for My '04 220; when I dissassemble the linkage, should I expect anything to go "biong"? Is there anything I should know before I start pulling things apart?
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

Nope no BOING! at least nothing is going to jump at you, but you might have some bearing go: "boing" needles falling on the floor :lol:
john316

Post by john316 »

Ok, I'm going to get started. Thanks for the help!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hang on...

Check the contents of that kit. I believe it does NOT contain the bottom shock bearing, which you will almost certainly need to replace.

I believe it also does NOT contain swingarm bearings?

I don't recall for sure which has what...but I DO know the linkage kit does NOT contain all you will need for the rear suspension.

Get a tub of BelRay waterproof grease, a gallon of kerosene, a coffee can or similar container to use as a wash tub, and some cleaning brushes.

Lots of BraKleen (NOT non-CFC) comes in handy, too!

Have fun!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

CC is right, that kit contains what it is advertised to contain, which is probably not all you'll need......

I've had better luck with OEM stuff, anyway. Others experience may vary, but the last "kit" I bought was not complete. Checking the paper work showed that I got what I payed for. Also, one of the bushings was undersized.
Off to the shop to get the right stuff. I've gotten really sour about buying crap on line, lately.

That whole replace all the bearings job is pretty rough the first time. It gets much easier after that.

I've yet to pull one apart that I suspected needed a little servicing and NOT found every bearing and bushing needing replacement. Might as well have them all up front.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hey! I've read that it only takes 45 minutes to do the whole thing!

:wink:

No worries!

Consider the source

barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

I just did the whole thing with the PW kits.
The swingarm kit is only the pivots.
The linkage kit does 2 of the 3 on the link arm, and the one on the bottom of the swingarm.
The shock kit ( I did not get that as it was not on motosports list) does the third hole in the link arm that the shock fork attaches to.
The PW kits use a different number of bearings than the OEM. I don't recall the details off the top of my head, but there are some cases where they have 1 longer bearig in lieu of the OEM's 2.
I was surprised that it took a bit more force than I was expecting with my arbor press to get the old ones out.
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yep...the OEM swingarm bearings are TWO to a side, the PW kit is one (longer, as said) on each side.

Something to keep in mind if you have or plan on putting zerks in. The two bearing setup makes it easier in the swingarm location..just put a zerk between the bearings.

Don't know if it's changed or not...but the PW bearings used to NOT be retained OR caged. Meaning...the liddle rollers wanna fall out all over the place. Makes them easier to clean..and a whole lot easier to mess up, too (if you lose a pin).

Here's a tip I just rememmered...put anti-seize on all of the bearing shells before you press 'em in. That will make them easier to get OUT next time. Also, in the case of the lower shock bearing, it's easier to correctly 'center' the bearing. If a clean bearing is placed in a clean hole, it will tend to 'jump' when you press it..and it will always 'jump' too far or not far enough. A lot of that depends, 'natch' on the 'give' you have in your pressing device that allows it to 'load up'.

It's hard to do with a hammer, I'll bet! Not that I would know.........

Consider the source

john316

Post by john316 »

Everything you guys said is true. I should have waited for the rest of your responses. Fact - the lower shock beraing is not included in the linkage kit (I think it should be); I ordered the lower shock bearing yesterday (and it shipped yesterday, I will have it tomorrow) from Rocky Mountian. The swingarm bearings seem ok, no play what so ever, so I am going to do them at a later date. The old bearings came out easy, I used a 13/16 long socket, which was a perfect fit into the bore on the linkage, as well as the bore on the swingarm. I put the new bearings in the freezer making installing them easy. CC is correct, it took just under an hour so far, the lower shock bearing will be quick, as will re-assembly.

Thanks for all the information. Next project - new piston! I sure you will be hearing from me once I get into that job.

Buy the way, I have had several dirt bikes, and let me just say, I love my KDX, I will most likley not have a new dirt bike for a long time!
plb

Post by plb »

If you check the Kawasaki diagram parts, you will see:

1- The linkage diagram doesn't includes the small bearing
2- The rear shock absorber includes the small shock bearing

So, if you buy a Pivot Works linkage bearings/seals kit, you must buy the small bearing too because he's not include...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..CC is correct, it took just under an hour so far,'

I wasn't correct if you took that to be serious.....

I was poking at a comment made awhile back that the whole burrito took 45 minutes.

It takes considerably longer than that. In the purported '45' case, nothing was cleaned..which made the whole process less than useful.

With no removal/replacement of any bearing, it takes me a LONG time to get it done. I'm soaking, brushing, picking, cleaning, rubbing, soaking and cleaning summore for quite awhile.

It wouldn't be a problem to take the parts Apart, swab some grease in 'em and bolt 'em back together...in 45 minutes. IMO...that would be a waste of the 45 minutes and whatever effort was expended during that time.

BTW...checking the Kawasaki diagram parts...I see:

It's called 'Rear Suspension'..and it shows the lower shock bearing.

Maybe it's differnt in Ka-na-da, 'eh?

(is Kaybec even IN Canada? :hmm: )

:wink:

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I can't imagine how much it would cost to replace all of the bearings and seals. I just replaced the seals on the swingarm pivot, and two pivots (bearings, seals and sleeves) on the rocker arm and a bolt and a nut and it was more than $100 at Ron Ayers.
john316

Post by john316 »

FYI - All Balls Linkage Bearing Kit (Part# 1005620028) has the lower shock bearing.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I hope (knowing full well they are not) All Balls linkage bearings are better quality than their wheel bearings.

They're not worth the time putting in.

For all the 'I use 'em in MY wheels and they work GREAT!' responses....

I'm very happy for you.

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Found this on eBay.

Looks like the Pivot Works kit.

Anyone care to comment? Seems MUCH cheaper cost than Rock Mountain!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... 2ea73ffc40
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!