Clutch spring length

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Clutch spring length

Post by lemmy »

I took my clutch out yesterday and measured the spring length at 36.6mm. The limit is 37.2 and nominal is 38.7. The clutch isn't slipping at all and the only problem I have with it is there is some drag (but i filed off the rough edges on the basket so that might help and the spring that goes on the clutch hub had been installed upside down by previous owner, and the pushrod was shimmed incorrectly ). Should I still replace the springs? What kind of problems would weak springs cause besides slipping?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've run into this.

Either the spec is wrong, or everyone making springs is wrong.

My OEM springs were all under limit. I ordered new OEM springs..they were under limit, too. I ordered some AFTERmarket springs..they were all over the place length-wise.

I wasn't looking to resolve any slippage issue...just doing basic maintenance on the bike.

You will not get rid of the drag problem. At least...if you do, please do share, as all KDXs do it..and the rate at WHICH they do it is worse'n most any other bike.

Re: 'What kind of problems would weak springs cause besides slipping?'

The main problem resultant from using those short springs (short doesn't mean weak 'natch) is maybe the headache you'll get worrying about it.

So....don't!

:wink:

If you DO find one spring that is considerably different from the others, that I'd be more concerned about.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's funny that the 95 KDX springs were considered weak and there was a service bulletin about it so I changed them. Really didn't need to but thought there may be an issue... there wasn't. I felt no difference at all....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I had a feeling something like that would be the answer. Glad I asked here instead of just buying new ones. They were all very very close to the same height. Thanks.