Gear Shift Shaft Broke

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Gear Shift Shaft Broke

Post by jc7622 »

I was riding this weekend and my grar shifter was torn off by a rock. When I got off my bike to inspect the damage I was horrified to see that the shaft was broken off. How hard is this to fix?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

5-16 in the manual....
Remove shift pedal
Magneto cover
Right engine cover
Clutch housing
Idle gear
Pull out external shift mechinism
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'H' and 'A' bikes:

Item 13161
PN 13161-1217 LEVER-COMP-CHANGE SHAFT

$29.40 from RonAyers.........

Might as well replace the corresponding parts at the same time. The spring is less than $6, the collars, and return spring aren't much, either.

Don't recall hearing of that shaft breaking before. I've mangled mine..and didn't suffer that misfortune.

Makes it hard to get a pair of pliers on it to 'shift' back to some gear you can ride back to your truck with..........................................

Let us know how much fun it was!

You're already 1/2 way there...you don't have to remove the shift pedal!!!

Hope it broke clean without putting a bend to it...........

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
You're already 1/2 way there...you don't have to remove the shift pedal!!!

I guess the glass is half full if you look at it like that. I wish that was half way. During practice I caught my shift lever (stock lever) and it got twisted under the frame. I was able to kind of straighten it out and go on. During the race I once again encountered that strange sensation of something not being where it usually is. I laid the bike down expecting to find it bent again and discovered the broken shaft. It was stuck in first so I was able to cruise back to the truck.

I tried to find 5-16 in the manual above. I guess you're laking about the official paper manual (which I don't have). Does this mean I will need to split the case? If I do that I might as well do everything in there all at once. The shifting has become stubborn, especially third, so the forks or something may be bent slightly.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

No no..... take the clutch side cover off... pull the clutch and you will see it at the bottom left hand side.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Oh. Perhaps all is not lost. Perhaps I won't be forced to park it. I'm back bitches!
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

I'll see if I can take a pic at my manual tonight and email it to you if that helps

Wilf