New guy with KDX questions

Got questions? We got answers....
bigal007

New guy with KDX questions

Post by bigal007 »

I just discovered this site, kinda by accident through the DRN site. (vince at woodsrider dot net. clever) Have recently started riding again after a financially forced layoff. Have purchased 3 bike in the last months, two of which are kdx's. A 91 for me, an 88 for my 17 year old, and an 82 dr 250 for my 18 year old. My 91 had a wrecked front end on it, and i put a kx 125 front end on it. The forums from that other site, did help me and i can see that most of that help came from people who are on this site too. Still i would not have found this site if not for that one. Will do all i can to spread the word to my fellow KDX riders. Thanks for being here.
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Hey, bigal007. Nice to see you drop in. If you ever need any help on the '91 or '88, I'll try to help out. I am pretty knowledgeable on those, but not on the Suzuki. :-)
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Thanks Jason. Been to your web site a few times as i am an info junky. But now that you mention it, my 88 won't idle. Only had the bike 2 days mind you but, my son rode it yesterday and is out on it today as well. made it idle buy adjusting the slack in the throttle cable. Strange set up turning the choke knob. Any idesa would be apperciated. Oh and what is the stock jetting suppost to be? bike is basiclly stock. Thanks.
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Oh no. It sounds like someone did you the dissservice of removing the stock carb and putting a Keihin PJ or PE carb on there. There is supposed to be a Keihin PWK carb on there. Here is a picture of the carb on member Dave04's previous ride. I put some text on there so you can see where the parts are supposed to be. Does yours look like this?

If you have trouble making out the details, here is a bigger version:

http://jasonwhokdx.home.mchsi.com/Im000714enhanced.jpg

It's too big to politely be within a thread.

Thanks for letting me know you saw the site. I have updated the fork page some in the past few days.

Let us know on the carb.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Can make them out just fine thanks. Your right they made a switch. The carb in the pic looks like the carb on my 91. Well anyone got a used carb for sale? Thanks :cry:
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The carb in the pic is a little different than the 1989 and newer KDX Keihin PWK carbs. The 1988 KDX200 carb has the air screw, idle screw and choke lever on the right side. The 1989 and newer KDX's come with the standard style PWK, which has the air screw, idle screw and choke knob (not lever) on the left side. The standard PWK has the stuff on the left side. The 1988 KDX200 carb is an odd-ball. They are real hard to find used. I have not seen any place selling PWK right side carbs. I have always only seen left side carbs. You can always buy a new 1988 KDX200 carburetor from Kawasaki. Ronayers.com has them:

Part Number: 15001-1404
Description: CARBURETOR-ASSY
Price: $267.89

WHEW! :-)

Can you get to the idle / choke knob and air screw (if there is one - I think there is) on the PE or PJ carb that is on there now? You might be best off just trying to get that carb to work correctly.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Found one off of an 86 ,200 for 50.00 plus shipping. think it is the same? looks kinda like it might be, pics not very good. how could i find out. choke lever and idle screw are on the right side can't see the air screw. Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The 1986 has a Mikuni carb. The carb boots and cable are different sizes. It is basically ALL different (no air screw either - it is what my '87 has). I'd stick with what you have if it works OK. The only thing that is going to bolt up correctly to a 1988 KDX200 is a 1988 KDX200 specific Keihin PWK carb.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You might want to check in with Jeff Fredette. He has a bunch of stuff at his place.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Dosen't really work. Bike won't idle can't ajust carb with airbox on it. Well i'll keep looking. Want bike to be right.
91 KDX200
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

Emailed him yesterday just waiting to hear from him. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Is this what you have?

http://www.sudco.com/pj_diagram.html

If all else fails, maybe you can go with a Mikuni setup like the '86 and '87 KDX200's. You would need the cable and the carb to engine boot, plus the carb. You might need the airox to carb boot, too. I think it is a 1mm difference in diameter on the carbs, but I am not sure how it all lines up plus clearance for the airbox.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

yes that look like it. think i could make the mikuni work. what it that carb off of?
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

bigal007 wrote:yes that look like it. think i could make the mikuni work. what it that carb off of?
I am not sure what you are asking. If you are asking what bike the Mikuni comes on, then I am referring to the Mikuni VM34SS that comes on the 1986 and 1987 KDX200's. The airbox to carb boot, the carb, the throttle cable and the carb to engine boot are all different. I think the PWK35 is 1mm larger outer diameter on the airbox side, causing the change in airbox to carb boot. I think the length may be different, too. I know the engine side of the PWK is 2mm smaller in diameter than the Mikuni, causing a change in the intake boot. I have test fit a PWK carb in the Mikuni carb to engine boot and it was a too-loose fit.

As far as somewhere to find a used 1988 KDX200 style Keihin PWK35 carb, definitely try Jeff Fredette at FRP Offroad. He might have one.

If you can't find the Keihin and decide to go with a Mikuni, let me know. I think I have enough extras to throw together a swap over kit.
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

I'm sorry i was'nt clear, long day. I was wondering about the PJ carb. If Jeff dose not have the carb, then i think i will do the swap. 257.00 is more than i want to spend, IE. new carb from the dealer. i also need a silencer, stock would be fine if you have one i would be glad to buy it from you.
91 KDX200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Are you two gonna make me edit ya and move it to the for sale area???? :shock:

Jusy kidding!!! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The PJ was an early 80's Keihin carb. I think it was the PE and the PJ, then at some point, they came out with the PWK. I think 1988 was the first year for Keihin PWK on KX or KDX.

I watch eBay pretty regularly, and I recall only seeing one '88 KDX200 carb in the last year.

I don't have a silencer or spark arrestor for sale. If you can find one, the Answer S/A-Pro is a great choice.

You can check on the buykawasaki.com website to see the differences in the boots, carb and cale on the '86/'87 and '88 KDX200's.

I know it would be difficult to set up, but another option is to get a normal PWK and run it. I am going to try it eventually. If there is something bad wrong with the current carb, it would be an option. It would not be real expensive. It's not too big of a hassle to remove the air box on a C model KDX200 if you were to just do it during tuning. Just leave the left side panel off. There's just two bolts and the screw on the airbox to carb boot clamp holding it on.

Do you think the jetting may be just bad off from the carb swap?
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

I was wondering about the jetting. cleaned the carb well had a 60 pilot jet 160 main. Changed the pilot to a 48 i had. Did not help. Feel like something is missing internially. Seriously considering the 86 carb.would make things eaiser in the furture as well, parts wise and all. What parts do you have for the swap. Can get the throttle cable for an extra 10 bucks shipped with carb. He might have engine to carb boot as well. Also need a kick starter lever, my son just informed me. One that is on therehits the frame. Not good. Wonder what else i'll find. used bike gotta love um.
91 KDX200
bigal007

Post by bigal007 »

normal PWK would bolt right up would it not?? Removing air box to tune not a big problem. Hmm another option. I like it.
91 KDX200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Those are big jets. I think stock PWK jetting was around 48 and 148. Lemme check... nope, 48 and 145. Your needle and throttle valve may be off, too.

Surely the previous owner kept the original airbox to carb boot, carb to engine boot and throttle cable. Those are for a PWK. If I were you, I would go for a normal PWK. You already have the boots and probably the cable. I would look for one that came with a 6.0 throttle valve. Don't buy one that has the wrong throttle valve. Those are expensive! It would not be too bad if the needle, pilot or main were the wrong size. You can get pilots and mains from Chaparral Racing for around $3.85 and the needle is around $5.25. Once you got the idle adjusted how you want it, you would not be fooling with it much afterwards. You wouldn't be able to adjust the air screw quickly, but all in all, I think finding a PWK would be your best bet, performance, time and cost wise.

Oh. I THINK that one can buy the choke lever and assembly from an '88 KDX200 carb and fit it on a standard carb. Again, I am not sure, just thinking it can be done. I think you could get to the choke knob on a regular PWK without too much trouble, though.

I am of no help on the kickstart lever.