Bark Buster/Hand guard Recommendations?

Got questions? We got answers....
John McIntosh

Bark Buster/Hand guard Recommendations?

Post by John McIntosh »

I went to my hometown in northern P.A this weekend and rode 70 hard-ridden miles. I even left my brother-in-law (on his xr 250) in my dust. I love my new 220 KDX! My 2003 is still completely stock and I think I am satisfied with it at this time. We do have some open areas to ride but I spend the majority of the time in the first three gears. I have read about a lot of the modifications on this site and I'm considering a pipe. Will it really make that much difference? Oh, I broke a handgard this weekend (Nothing too exciting. My son dumped his Honda 50 and mine tipped over when I got off to help him) and I was wondering if any of you could recommend a gaurd and a site where I could get one?
Thanks,
Mack
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

Are your guards the stock green ones? If so I have 2 unused ones for ya. If you are looking for aftermarket, Acerbis Ralley Pro are good and very light.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
John McIntosh

Post by John McIntosh »

I guess I should have explaied myself better. I would really like to get some different/better handguards. I want something that will offer a little more protection.
Thanks,
Mack
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

A pipe and rejetting (main/pilot/needle) will make all the difference in the world. For $20 Tusk makes a great pair of handguards.

-Maurice
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Pricewise.... Tusk is your best bet. http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_ ... d=00047234
Acerbis make a nice handguard too...they are called Multipro enduros (My next guards) The only drawback here is that the mounting kit is extra. (Stupid if you ask me!)

Cycra, Moose etc.... just depends on what you are willing to spend. Around $50 is the cheapest you will get off for aluminum guards with plastic shields...Tusk.

The Plastic guards that mount on the bar and the end are pretty good too if your not going too fast... and they protect the levers too. Not as good as the aluminum ones but about half the price too.

Go to the links page and check our Rocky Mountain or Kevin's or any of the other ones listed there and make sure you read the fine print... Like: mounting kit sold separately...

Good Luck!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Welcome to the site, John. You may want to check on the FRP Offroad (http://www.frpoffroad.com) handguards. He has plastic guards that mount to those if you need those as well.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
John McIntosh

Post by John McIntosh »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will probably go with the Tusk. I like the looks of them and they seem to be priced right. I will investigate a little more befor getting a pipe. Based on the reading I've done hear, the Woods pipe(I think that sounds right) sounds like my best bet.
Thanks,
Mack
Mack (Bel Air, Maryland)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keep in mind while installing... they probably will not fit right out of the package.... you have to do alot of persuading to get them mounted. This is very normal!

You can look in my gallery, I have the Tusk guards mounted.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I purchased my Moose Aluminum and Cycra plastic set up from http://www.monkeybuttparts.com/pk4/store.pl?section=87 There are Photo's in the Gallery or if you have really good eyes...you can see them in my avitar. The Moose alum with Cycra plastic was $58.99 and the fit was good. MSR makes plastic too, it looks just like the EE stuff. I think I 'm going to go with a set of the black MSR plastic next time the ground or various types of vegitation decide to mangle my current Cycra plastic.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I 2nd the Tusks....I have them on both of my bikes.

I need to get some different one's for my WR as it has oversized bars on it, and the Tusks weren't made for this purpose.....Only bad thing I have to say about them, and it's not Tusk's fault that I tried to cram them onto oversized bars...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
MY KDX 220 R

Post by MY KDX 220 R »

I installed Moose aluminium Bark busters today, unknown to me and further scrutiny of the packaging found no indication that they were for 1 1/8" bars. ( current bars PRO-TAPER 7/8".)

Using a piece of garden hose as a sleave they fit perfectly and now have a vibration damper.

Good to see that u can purchase plastics to go with these, I saw them in the stealership and knowing how flimsy the originals are had to have them.

A good friend slammed both his little fingers on a recent ride at Loretta Lynn, - the origionals would have offered little protection. ( he was riding a KX 250 with no protection at all except gloves.)

Safety first. :twisted:
KEEP IT REAL!!
ben herr

Post by ben herr »

Inda, did you get those handguards from ebay? They really look nice. Am thinking of ordering them as I still have stock (worthless).
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have the Tusk guards from Rocky Mountain. They had a blow-out sale last fall and had a special on them. Basically same setup except they came with an extra plastic guard for free.

The ebay link is just some I found doing a search.... look pretty nice.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Hellbender

Post by Hellbender »

I found this place when looking for some aluminum guards...

http://www.parts-guy.com/handguards.html

HB