autoclutch

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

autoclutch

Post by lemmy »

Is the EFM the only autoclutch for an '03 220? I really want an autoclutch, but I am not sure how I feel about losing the ability to slip the clutch when needed. I talked to them and they said on the KDX the clutch lever isn't there at all. Apparently on some bikes you still have a lever that works as long as you are not at idle.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Rekluse doesn't list one, but I'd give 'em a call if I was shopping for an autoclutch. I thought they USED to make a clutch for the KDX..maybe they have some parts still lying around.

Some bikes keep the manual lever. Seems those are generally bikes that activate from the INside (from the LH side).

Keep the lever..use it for the back brake. I'm not a huge auto-clutch fan..but having a back hand-brake is VERY useful!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Ya, my friend has a CRF250 with a Rekluse and he has the rear brake as a hand lever, then a small lever that he can use for the clutch if he needs it.

I contacted EFM and Garry said that the KDX clutch works backwards compared to most dirt bikes so there would be no clutch lever. I will give Rekluse a call, but they will probably say the same thing.

Just curious...why don't you like auto-clutches?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Gave up mini-bikes when he learned how to USE a clutch! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Just curious...why don't you like auto-clutches?'

Varied and various 'reasons'.

The 200 is a bit on the small side for one, seems to me. Too much RRrrRRrrRRrr goin' on. When the clutch needs to slip it's in a higher RPM range than the autoclutch will get you.

I don't like losing the bump-start option.

I don't like the idea of it 'unhooking' from the engine on a downhill and having to gas it to get it hooked back up.

I don't like the idea of losing the rather fine line of control between slip and 'pop' that I use all the time to get over obstacles, especially on climbs.

I don't like the cost.

Besides that...I just don't like 'em much. Maybe on a bigger bike.

Consider the source

scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

+1 on cc comment
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

EFM and Revloc are the only Mfg's that make autoclutches for the KDX. I ahve an EFM clutch in my '00 KDX200, seems to work out pretty good. I will be riding it in the woods on the 4th of April for the first time, I will let you know how I like it. I also have a Rekluse in my '02 KTM300EXC and that's the best thing next to sliced bread IMO :mrgreen:
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Yeah, I don't like the idea of it unhooking on a downhille either.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

I don't like the idea of unhooking on a downhill on my KDX but on my
kx450 I don't like the engine braking especially on a muddy down hill.
I have been looking at the Rekluse but having a hard time justifying
almost 600 smackers.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '...I don't like the engine braking especially on a muddy down hill.'

Why does the clutch lever not take care of that?

I've ridden a punkin 300. I can understand how an autoclutch would be a benefit in that equipment configuration. There's a lot of 'GO' in that bike that an auto(effeminate)clutch could work quite well in! :shock:

Me? I'll stick with my Barbie bike.......... :wink:

We got some tracks down here that we've NAMED 'Autoclutch'.

C'mon down!!

Fact is...I've been on some climbs (within the past couple of weeks) that a 300 had no problem with..and I didn't make it. Not enough 'go' without 'spin'. Criminy...I was going backwards with the rear wheel spinning on parts you would need a transit to determine if there even WAS a slope there.....or not.

Trying to stand up long enough to get it turned around was a fun time..... :cry:

Consider the source