trans oil

Got questions? We got answers....
3dhunt
Supporting Member

trans oil

Post by 3dhunt »

i didn't get a manual with my 03 220R how much tranny oil do i use. also does anyone know where i can find some new green side covers for a 220, were there any years that used them. thanks 3d
pjmac28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pjmac28 »

It takes .7 litre. Right behind where you pour in the tranny oil it should be stamped on the engine.

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Most people put an entire quart in it... it helps quiet down the clutch a bit.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
pjmac28
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pjmac28 »

Thanks Inda, that's good to know.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

A full quart will do no harm and does quiet down that rattle a little too. Several owners find vast differences in the performance of their clutches using the same lubes though. For example; some guys like to use ATF. I hated it. Some like all synth. I do too but it's a bit expensive. Some like to use oil rated for diesel engines. That's what I use. There's threads on here why if you are interested.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

Skidpro....Nice Avitar

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:A full quart will do no harm and does quiet down that rattle a little too. Several owners find vast differences in the performance of their clutches using the same lubes though. For example; some guys like to use ATF. I hated it. Some like all synth. I do too but it's a bit expensive. Some like to use oil rated for diesel engines. That's what I use. There's threads on here why if you are interested.
:wink:
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
gtoron wrote:Skidpro....Nice Avitar
The left one seems to be bigger.

Nice pair!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I use a quart per oil change...but 100ml or so out of it goes in AFTER the tranny is drained, BEFORE the plug is put back in. Kind of a 'rinse' before I plug it up, dump in the remaining 800-850 or so ml.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

That sounds like a good idea. I have been using 800-850 of Motul 10W30. But I am thinking of trying ATF, I just can't decide on Type F or the Dexron/Mercon stuff.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

What are your friction plates made out of?

Basically:

The type of fluid to use depends on the friction materials used to build the transmission. C4 and C6 transmissions are typically built with the same friction material as was used in the mid to late 60's. It is compatible with the friction modifiers in type "F" ATF. If the transmission has been built with carbon or Kevlar friction materials then you will have to use a synthetic oil like Mercon V.
The reason for this is that the carbon and Kevlar materials do not completely stop the drums - they slip at about 40 - 50 rpm and never lock up completely. This generates a lot of heat and it takes a synthetic fluid to withstand it. You should not use the synthetic oils with the older friction matrials because it will allow the friction materials to slip, causing heat and destruction of the materials. The oil will be fine but the friction material will flake off and go through your transmission.

Type 'F' has friction modifiers that slip less. I looked a little, didn't find a source with documentation...but believe the 'F' had to do with a small clutch configuration Ford came up with that had to 'stick' pretty good to work well. NOT using type 'F' would lead to slippage..and the problems noted above.

Kind'a likethis:

This product is sometimes used as a "competition" automatic transmission fluid, since it gives quicker lock-ups on shifts than DEXRON® III or MERCON® type fluids. FORD TYPE F was designed for Ford Motor Company fast shifting transmissions which utilized a "quick grabbing clutch". This product is a non-friction-modified fluid designed for the FORD FMX Transmissions produced from 1959 through 1981.

Here is the organicpart of it:

Type "F" is formulated to work with organic media on bands (back in the bad old days, prior to the EPA, band, clutch material was made using asbestos). Type "F" was used since it would not attack the liner material.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Thanks. I was leaning towards type F. It looks like the way to go.