Loose Gear Lever KDX220

Got questions? We got answers....
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

>|<>QBB<
ihatefalling wrote:Hey guys...after riding this weekend I notice my shift lever was flopping around too. Shaft looks tight (did I just say that?).

Shift lever bolt was tighened pretty good. I guess I need to remove it and try the "shave a little metal from the mating surfaces" fix. I tried loosening the bolt that holds it on but couldn't get the lever to slide off the shaft. So I stopped there. Do I need to just need to try and yank it harder (did I just say that too?) or do I need to totally remove the bolt and get a screwdriver in there and pry it open? Make sense? I don't want to goof the lever up if it is salvagable....thx
Thanks for the replies KarlP and Bronco. Last night I removed the bolt holding the lever on, removed the lever, cleaned all the grooves/threads, put is back on with some locktite and tigtened her down. Once tightened up pretty good it seems to be good. I guess the bolt had just worked loose a little....allowing the flop.

I'm also tired of my bars getting twisted if I drop my bike so I did some research on the site and ordered one of the Fredette bar braces. I plan to use it with the stock rubber dampers in the top triple. Hopefully that will eliminate any future twisting.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Byte wrote: I performed the sharpie exercise and do not see any line break between shaft and lever.

I observe the shaft moves when the lever moves.

Byte
Thanks for looking into that.

Another way to do that is to place your finger on that joint as you move the lever up/down. You will be able to feel movement in the joint if it's loose..again, movement you may NOT be able to SEE.

...even IN the light of day.

Another 'problem' solved, 'eh? Good.

Re: 'I'm also tired of my bars getting twisted if I drop my bike so I did some research on the site and ordered one of the Fredette bar braces.'

You are referring to Fredette's one piece top clamp? It works good! His one piece clamp and a good set of bars will cut 'bar tweak' down to about zero.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks Canyn.

Byte
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I heard Byte was about to start a hybrid project....... :blink:
'08 KTM200xc