Ideal KDX220 Mods

Got questions? We got answers....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Ski has a thing for Ozzie men... proly hundreds of times we don't know about... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:>|<>QBB<
Byte wrote:as i live in Australia - is it still worth sending carb and head to rb in usa?

What will rb designs actually do to the carb and head?

Byte
Buy a head and carb off eBay, have it drop shipped to RBDesigns, then have him ship it to me and I'll mail it to you. That way you would still have your old head /carb and it probably would be cheaper than mailing yours round trip.

BTW I've helped out other Aussies with getting parts this way. It's just a way I can "pay-it-forward" so to speak; helping out another rider!! :supz:

****EDIT****
Rereading here; I think it would be better to send just the head and buy a modded airstryker from Ron Black.

--- Why?
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I posted an edit to my thread. I think the BEST way would be to get the modded airstryker from Ron and drop ship an eBay head to him.

I don't know, a couple so far. And some New Zealanders too! Heads, forks, wheels, clutch, triple clamps, etc.. Too much stuff to remember anyway. It's not free, heck it's not cheap for that matter, but I don't charge anything for my time. Just what it would cost. I've built a good crate for the KX front end I sent to Australia once. I have a son in NZ and send stuff back with him when he visits or I take stuff when I visit him.

YOu asked why about the airstryker? It ends up being a better product and if you're buying a replacement stock carb anyway, then why not? Price out both options and see what the difference is. I bet it isn't much. A brand new carb with the pretty hoses and all. Jetted and float set perfect is a real thing of beauty. I was sad to dirty up my airstryker!! Ha!

Also the logistics of either buying one off eBay and having it shipped to Ron or sending your own to Ron directly, it would just be easier to buy the AS right from Ron. BTW, don't forget to order his air screw. It's also a thing of beauty and works great too.
Last edited by skipro3 on 11:57 am Mar 20 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks SkiPro.

What is the advantage of buying a modded airstiker from RB?

What spec would this be?

Why is anything more than 36mm not optimal for this applciation?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The bigger the size carb for the same size engine, the less differential there is in pressure as you open the throttle. The reason a divider plate works is because the carb size is smaller with half throttle or less settings and the vacuum pull is greater. A snappier throttle response. Especially at low engine RPM's. That's why a 220 has a 33mm carb and a 200 has a 35mm carb; the 220 is designed for more low end torque and the 200 for more top end hit. Any larger than 36mm and your boot won't fit. A stock 33mm 220 carb and a stock 35mm 200 carb are the same carb except that the 35 is a larger bore and the walls are thinner. You could see this if you had them side-by-side. Ron takes a stock carb and bores it to 36mm. I don't think you can go any larger and have enough carb body left. Lots of information on here on the Air Stryker. So do a search and then get back with your questions.
Last edited by skipro3 on 12:03 pm Mar 20 2009, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Byte

Post by Byte »

OK - so what do I need to ask RB for a modded airstryker?

What head (with spec) should I be buying off ebay?

Byte

So, I ask Ron at RB for a 36mm airstryker carb?
What about the head - what do I buy from ebay?

Byte
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Check his site and then e-mail him. Tell him you want what everyone on KDX rider is running. He'll know. In fact, he visits this site regularly. Don't be surprised if he starts responding to this thread directly...

Again, do some search on here and review the posts and photos. I know I've posted some...
Jerry

Byte

Post by Byte »

many thanks mate!

Byte
plb

Post by plb »

>|<>QBB<[quote="scheckaet"]You forgot the most important one IMHO: suspension tuned to your weight makes a world of difference...
quote]

Yeah, i just answer the Byte's question. I agree with you. I have all the bigs mods on my 220 (RB carb, RB head, VF3, FMF, etc), but I did my rear suspension with Race Tech Gold Valves and put a KX fork in the front with Race Tech Gold Valves enduro too.

Riding the motor with big modifications with a stock suspension it's like a suicide.
scheckaet
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by scheckaet »

ain't dat a beaut?

RB is almost like a piece of art, oh wait it is! and the best thing of it is: it WORKS! :prayer:
Byte

Post by Byte »

looks great scheact!

Suspension:

Rear - Race Tech Gold Valves

Front - KX fork with Race Tech Gold Valves enduro

I see thes emods done a lot - what is involved with using/repalcing KX forks and why KX forks?

Why Race Tech Gold Valves as well?

Who should I send my suspension to to obtain this spec?

Byte
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

>|<>QBB<
Byte wrote:Thansk Jeb.

You get around!

I know you know I own a new KTM as well.

I guess I just love my bikes! :-)

Yes - It already has the Wiesco piston inside.

Byte
You must have me mistaken for another JEB . . . but it would have to be some imposter, there's only one real JEB.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Byte

Post by Byte »

HI Jeb.

Apologies.

I often liaise with another 'Jeb' on KTMTalk Forum. THis Jeb is very highly regarded on KTMTalk and is classed as a SuperModerator.

Sorry to disappoint you but yes - you denitely have a 'twin'.

:lol: :lol: :cool:
plb

Post by plb »

I see thes emods done a lot - what is involved with using/repalcing KX forks and why KX forks?

Why Race Tech Gold Valves as well?

Who should I send my suspension to to obtain this spec?
The valving of a KX fork is for motocross (big hit). The valving for enduro is more for traction, handling and small bumps. When you buy Race Tech Gold Valves, you receive a «owner's number» to have access to the Race Tech website. You give your weight, bike, experience and type of riding and they give you the specs for your valving (and springs).

If you are good in mechanic, you can change the valving by yourself. If not, you can send your fork/shock to a profesionnal suspension company.

The KX front fork is easy to fit in a KDX and is stiffer, stronger, better, have more adjustments and is not old design/technology like the stock KDX fork.
Byte

Post by Byte »

thanks mate!

When buyign second hand kx forks, ar ethe part numbers engraved on them ?

What shoudl I be lookign out for when buyign second hand forks - with intention to re-valve and tune, etc?

Byte