How to remove shock collar? ARGH!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

How to remove shock collar? ARGH!!!

Post by recurve »

I'm in the middle of changing the rear spring but I can't get the existing spring off because the collar isn't turning much. The locking collar is free and moved up the shock out of the way. The adjusting collar (the one compressing the spring) is of course under pressure so I assumed it would be tough to turn. Forget about adjusting the collar on the bike, I can't move it when its sitting on the workbench! I've tried various spanner wrenches but they pop off long before any pressure is applied (yes, I oiled the collar and the spring face as well as cleaned the threads prior to this).

So, what's everyones' trick to moving the adjusting collar? Favorite tool?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Threads are proly boogered..... mine was like that too.... a lot of determination is the only way I got mine off. and a few hours with a micro file afterwards....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

>|QBB<[/url]
Indawoods wrote:Threads are proly boogered..... mine was like that too.... a lot of determination is the only way I got mine off. and a few hours with a micro file afterwards....
The threads are good. The locking collar spins real nice on them. Oh, the shock only has about 10 hours on it so it's clean. Here's a photo of it:

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Try turning the spring?

If that's don't do it... there is always spring compressors!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Try turning the spring?

If that's don't do it... there is always spring compressors!
Thanks for the help, Indawoods. I was thinking of a spring compressor myself. Of all the tools I have I don't have a spring compressor. Ow! I'll bring it over to a buddy's shop and give that a whirl.

What kind of spanner do you like to use when you adjust the shock when it's on the bike?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Should've got it loose when it was still on the bike, that would be my best tip.

Put top of shock in vise, and use spanner wrench now....Or hammer/chisel method.....Sprong compressor would be good!!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Good heavens...

Put the thing in a soft-jawed vise...or use some leather scraps (maybe off an old set'a boots), soap up the bottom of the shock, grab aholt of the spring and just TURN the thing!!!

Vise doesn't have to be tight..you're just keeping it from turning is all...with the top of the shock in the vise, that's easy enough to do.

...like Inda said...but I don't see that it happened what with all the talk about wrenches and stuff.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

I'll try turning the spring next time I'm in the shop. Thanks all !!
recurve
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by recurve »

A spanner wrench and vice was the resolution today. Same as yesterday but it was a new day today :cool: . I wasn't able to turn the spring by hand. The spring is off and the other spring is on now. The KDX goes back together tomorrow if I get the time. :grin: