good to be back

Got questions? We got answers....
3dhunt
Supporting Member

good to be back

Post by 3dhunt »

well I sold my pumpkin and am the proud owner of a 2003 kdx 220. very little use with a few upgrades including carbon fiber reeds, wide foot pegs, full fmf exhaust, newer dunlop tires. one question about the piston issue, did the later year models have the problem also? I gave $1950, i don't know if thats about right but it is cherry. thanks for all your help 3d
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like a great deal! :supz:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

They all had the potential grenading piston. Change it out now and don't ever worry about it again.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

What KTM did you have and why did you choose to go back to the KDX. Just curious.
'
3dhunt
Supporting Member

Post by 3dhunt »

i had a 2000 300 exc. im 52 years old 5'10 and 148 pounds riding tight woods and have ridden kdx's in the past and they just fit me better. However, i loved the ktm and highly recommend them, it was a beast of a motor and i did not feel as comfortable on the big bike but it was me not the bike.
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

welcome back!

the 220 is my fav bike ever!

btw, that was a good price!! :supz:
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'did the later year models have the problem also?'

As ski said...yep. Ma Kaw never admitted it was a problem...so they never had to fix it.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Even the OEM pistons are bad. Get aftermarket. I've used the Wiseco but have heard good things about the Athena.

(Is that how you spell wiseco??)
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
sparkingdogg
Supporting Member

Post by sparkingdogg »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:Even the OEM pistons are bad. Get aftermarket. I've used the Wiseco but have heard good things about the Athena.

(Is that how you spell wiseco??)
really? athena is better? i am getting ready to tear my 220 down, i have several bikes to combine...
1999 KDX240 big bore street legal, 2008 KLX300R, 2002 XR250R stock, 1985 XL600R stock, 2001 KDX220 bone stock street legal, 1988 VN750 dresser, 1975 RD350 stock, 1983 GL650I Sliverwing Interstate with sidecar, 1975 Kawasaki F11 (early KDX!), about 15 other bikes that come and go!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

er.... I would stick with WISECO! Great track record.... :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Well I didn't say it was better, just that I've heard good things about them. Obviously not from Inda though...

Know the difference between a forged piston and a cast one. There is a difference in fit, break-in and warm-up. YOu don't wanna seize up a fresh top end, now...

I think I've heard about the Athena over on thumpertalk under the Kawasaki 2 stroke forum. Do the research and be comfortable knowing what you are getting. Just that I KNOW I wouldn't order a piston from MaKaw even if they are Wiseco's. I won't give them the satisfaction seeing as how they didn't do the piston right in the first place and all.
Jerry

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Athena's are spendy. Last I looked anyway. Their hot-rod rep I think came from the punkin-patch, didn't it? Of course...if it's in a KTM..you KNOW it's the BEST!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!