Carb overflow leaking, bike not running!

Got questions? We got answers....
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

Well in that case I dont have a valve, because there is no tube! I know its meant to have one but ive been a lazy sod and not bought one, bike never came with it. But in other news, SHE RUNS!! What wonders a new plug and fresh fuel will do! I dont know which was the culprit, maybe both, and maybe the carb was dirty or all of them but I put the new plug and fuel in, kicked the crap out of it, nothing... so i awkwardly lean down and kick whilst holding the choke and off she went. Its too late to be running it again now so i only had it going 30secs but all seems well. Im still a little unsure of the carb setup, i mean i did adjust the float level to an unknown position, which fixed the fuel overflow issue, but im worried it could be wrong, and I also am not sure where the mixture screw is meant to be. Is there a very specific setting for the screw or even rule of thumb? Dont want to run lean is all. Wish the KDX had a choke like my old Suzuki TC100, right there on the handle bars and you slide it to the desired spot while the bike warms up :) none of this hold it in place nonsense!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Good deal!

That choke plunger should stay up when you pull it. Something going on in there? Fortunately it looks like you can dissasemble the choke plunger without pulling the carb off, I think.

Mixture screw 1 to 1-1/2 turns out should be a good starting point.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

For a temp fix on the choke plunger you can run a small zip ty around the plunger boot and tighten it enough that the plunger will stay up.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:For a temp fix on the choke plunger you can run a small zip ty around the plunger boot and tighten it enough that the plunger will stay up.
Take the plunger out of the carby..inspect the groove machined into the stem. The boot m0rie is referring to has a lip that fits into that groove..which then normally holds the plunger up. Between doing a bit of file work on that groove to get an edge back to it and increasing the tension on the boot with m0rie's zip-ty idea, you should be able to get it to 'stick' up.

While it's apart you may well find that crud in the groove AND the boot is causing the problem anyway.

Or...just buy a plunger. If yours is worn to the point it won't stay pulled, the plunger on the business end of the shaft..the seal that keeps the enrichment circuit closed when the choke is not in use...THAT may not be working too well either.

Regarding the air screw (it's not a mixture screw): It is adjusted to a 'best throttle response' setting. That will vary. The procedure I believe is noted on this forum...let me check......yep! HERE!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tas_wolf
Supporting Member

Post by tas_wolf »

Oh OK, the plunger must be worn then, the spring pulls it straight back down when you let go, it doesnt fall but is physically retrieved. I will take a look at that thanks for the info re: fixing it guys. And thankyou canyncarvr for the link to carby tuning, great looking guide there indawoods!
John K Conway

Re: Carb overflow leaking, bike not running!

Post by John K Conway »

its possible that the needle valve assembly fuel fio not shutting off when bowl is full and set float level to spec
John K Conway

Re: Carb overflow leaking, bike not running!

Post by John K Conway »

Replace the needle valve / complete seat assembly