Post by bagpuss »

Hi can you tell me if a E model gasket set will fit on my F both 89

as ive found one on ebay

Its needed as ive just found oil in my generator when i removed the cover
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I don't think that gasket set is going to have what you need. Oil in the dry side of the engine is probably mix coming through the LH crank seal. It's darn near impossible for tranny oil to end up over there. All the gasket sets I've seen do not come with crank seals. What's worse, you have to split the cases to replace the crank seals.

I'm about to tackle the same problem on my 89. Does the flywheel have any up/down play to it? The flywheel side bearing seems to get more stress and fail sooner then the clutch side. This can wear out the seal quckly and start leaking fuel mix behind the stator cover. What's worse, while running it will be sucking air in that side resulting in an overly lean condition. Yikes...
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

You might check the cases behind your flywheel. There are three grooves in the case that can crack. Clean and fill them with JB weld and see if that takes care of your weeping oil problem.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
bagpuss

Post by bagpuss »

I will check for cracks thanks m0rie

juliend what i mean is will the gasket set be ok for the head and base ect i know i still have to buy crank seals i only asking as the local shop sells them in singles and they cost a lot that way

PS im not looking forward to this
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ah, don't be afraid, it should be fun. I'm starting to tear mine down during the week this week. Will be taking the engine complete to a friends where I can use the flywheel puller and impact wrench next weekend.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most if not all of the gaskets should work for ya.