Silencer Wrap

Got questions? We got answers....
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Silencer Wrap

Post by bradf »

Back during the Turbine Core II discussion I decided to re-pack mine. As you know there is the standard packing glass and then there is the real expensive pre-made replacement cartridge style type. I looked at the expensive stuff and all it has different is a fiberglass cloth wrap. So I made my own and it worked perfectly. I used a scrap piece of glass cloth about 18x12". This would cost about 50 cents at the Fiberglass shop. One thing I noticed on the expensive cartridges was that the inside next to the perforated pipe was covered by cloth as well. So I folded over about 6" of the cloth to initially wrap around the pipe. I believe that since the cloth keeps the standard packing material from being blown out. It is now protected by the cloth.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Got Pics?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Did you use a paper towel cardboard tube or something similiar to help slide it into the canister in one piece?
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

No pics. I measured the old stuff and used the same amount of the MSR green glass. I removed the exhaust from the bike. I then rolled the wrap around the perforated pipe probably 3 times with the cloth on the inside covering the perforated pipe. Then I slid the TC II shell back over, pushing the glass in around the edges. It occurred to me that the reason the expensive stuff was supposed to last so long is that it was wrapped in the cloth which protects the cheaper loose filling.
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You don't happen to have db info, do 'ya?

I'd think the cloth-wrapped method would be considerably louder.

Heck...4-stroke packing is considerably louder...and it's just a more dense spun fiber.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I can't tell any difference, but it is not any louder. I have never had this bike checked with a meter.