Fork Seals

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Fork Seals

Post by lemmy »

I purchased my 2003 KDX220 from a guy last summer and he had the boots off of the suspension with those velcro/neoprene seal protectors. I am not sure how well they work because I always see dirt under them when I take them off. Also, it seems water gets trapped and rusts the circlip. I always try to take them off and clean under them. BTW, this is the OEM forks supposedly with the Racetech work done on them.

I am going to try a Seal Mate or the 35mm film trick first. But is it easy to get the dust seal out from the top using just a screw driver (i.e. not taking the fork apart)? It seems to be pretty far down in there and I am afraid I will damage it getting it out. Also, it seems the 35mm film would just push the dirt down in to the fork. Maybe I don't understand what I am supposed to do with the film.

But if I end up having to take the fork apart. Should I just try to find some boots to put back on there for better protection? I was just going to put 5W fork fluid. Any suggestions on brands? Also, is there any way to determine which springs I have when I take them out?

Thanks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The seal protectors work better on USD forks and not the velcro type either since those leave a gap. I would definately lose those on RSU forks like yours and go back to the gaiters.

You can try the 35mm film trick but sometimes you can damage the seals worse if you are not careful. Clean the seal as good as possible from the top side, remove the clip and then at a 45 degree angle, slide the film into the forks between the seal and the tubes... making sure the film conforms to the tubes... then carefully slide the film around the forks. The 45 degree andgle works as a lifting mechanism to lift the dirt out of the seals.

If the forks are seaping then I have some Seal Heal that usually takes care of that problem for $15 plus $5 shipping in the CONUS.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Is the only place to get the gaiters is from Kawi?

How do you apply seal heal?

I will be riding today and will see how much it is leaking today to see if it is a seap or if it is really bad.

Yeah, I was thinking those seal protector things would work better for USD forks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You can get the gaiters from http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/ It's under Plastic / Body at the bottom of the page....
He is real reasonable!

The seal heal get's poured in the top of your forks to mix with the fork oil... it then conditions and expands the seals slightly to form a good seal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Thanks. Aren't KDX OEM forsk 43mm?
kdx633
Supporting Member

Post by kdx633 »

Where can you find seal heal? does it work on usd forks?my cr 125 only gets about 6-8 hrs of use before they weep.Tubes are straight clean no burrs etc. I have 2 of them and both bikes exhibit the same behavior.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I sell the Seal Heal.. it works on any forks with seals ....

It comes in a 8 oz bottle and you just pour half in each fork and let it work.

I can send you some if you use PayPal and state that it is for Seal Heal...

hengstberger(at)hotmail.com

I can ship today since I have other stuff to ship if you want.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote:Thanks. Aren't KDX OEM forsk 43mm?
Yup... sure are!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Are there any good alternatives to the fork boots? I really hate the way they look. If that is the only thing that will keep my seals from leaking then I will gladly use them. But it would be nice if there was some other alternative. I have read of putting grease on top dust seal to keep dirt out of there....not sure how well that would work.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Grease attracts dirt... forget about that! The gaiters have air holes in them that push the dirt out on contraction. The best thing you can have on there.... believe me!

I have another product called Fork Dyne-11 that will stop anything from sticking to your fork tubes ... spray it on work it in and ride. Works really really good. It works so good that I have successfully marketed it to the guitar community as a Friction Modifier for nuts, saddles and trem units at twice the price I was asking for it as a Fork Slick product. Who knew? :grin:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how to get the dust seal up? I tried a small screwdriver but it seems like it is just going to tear up the outer part of the dust seal. The dust seal sits so far down inside the outer tube it seems almost impossible to get it out. Thanks.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Probably more often than not riders remove the dust seal with no intention of reusing it...so don't use that much care.

I haven't anyway.

I'm sayin' I don't know how to get them out and have them perfectly reuseable...or at least in fine fettle.

If I had to try it, I'd probably use a mechanics scribe, insert the bent end INTO the seal (yeah...put a hole in it), pull it out.

Using a screwdriver is going to: Nick, scrape, scratch your inner tube, or... Break off a piece of the lower tube when you lever against it.

Good luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!