Power Valve Question

Got questions? We got answers....
nearma12

Power Valve Question

Post by nearma12 »

Recently my KDX250 had been running like a dog. It seemed like it had no power and it ran very choppy. (Please excuse me if I use the wrong term for something) I pulled the cover off of the Power Valve and noticed that the rod that is supposed to actuate the valve was detached. When the rod moved, it wasn't even touching the valve to pull it out. Here is a pic, sorry if it is blurry, I couldn't get much light where I was at. You can see that the end of the rod isn't in the groove and the valve was permanently closed. So, I snapped the piece back in place. Now when the rod moves outward, it pulls the valve open. I just wanted to make sure that this is correct. This is the first 2-Stroke bike I've ever owned so I am learning as I go. The bike runs like a beast now! Thanks for any input, Neil

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sorry... I can't be much help here... from what I can make out, it looks completely different from a 200/220 setup from any era.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
grump99

Post by grump99 »

What you described sounds correct to me. Looks similar to the older-style kdx 200 setup. If it runs better, thats proof enough! :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm curious about the 'snapped' back into place part.

Likely it isn't meant to be forced INto position having been OUT of position. Once you start forcing things like that from here to there, they tend to come undone themselves because something gets tweaked.

I don't know how this setup is supposed to be assembled..and I can't tell from the pic what is what, BUT...consider what it took to 'snap' it back, what had to be forced/bent to get it there..satisfy yourself that it's all OK.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
nearma12

Post by nearma12 »

I believe that I pulled it out of place when I removed the side cover of the engine. I had never started it before that because I needed to replace a spring on the kick start assembly. So, when I was pulling the cover off, I think I popped the thing out of place. It didn't easily "snap" back in place. I had to carefully pry it back and insert it into the correct position. I have looked at the kdx200 manual and compared mine to what I saw. It is positioned differently, but it looks like it engages in the same way. I should have been more specific in my original post. Thanks for the responses.