adding lighting...

Got questions? We got answers....
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

adding lighting...

Post by magilla »

One of the reasons that I went ahead and built my hybrid is that the chassis I picked up is street licensed. Of course, to be street "legal" I need to have functional lighting, which until now I've largely ignored since I'm only trail riding. I'm starting to feel that I should finish this part of the project though.
The hybrid is very light, and I'd like to add as little weight as possible while still having functional lighting. My electrical knowledge is pretty limited, but I'm gathering information all the time.

Ideally I'd like to be able to run without a battery at all, but if I need one, I'll likely use one of the tiny battery packs sold with Baja kits.
I have a headlight unit (actually I have 3) that I want to use, and I've found an LED taillight that I think will work well. I'd love to ignore turn signals, but just in case I do get pulled over when using the road to connect trails, I should probably have them. I'm thinking LEDs for those as well for low weight/low power draw.

I'm thinking a re-wound stator is in order. Ricky Stator will re-wind mine for ~75watt output. Moose also offers one.

So what do I really need to make this work while being simple, light, reliable, and functional?
Can I get away without a battery? I'm guessing I need some sort of regulator/rectifier? Diodes for the LEDs?

Thanks for any insights.
Michael
00'/01' KX/KDX220R Hybrid
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If ya wait a few weeks, we may have a better alternative than sending in you stator to be rewound....

Check the stator thread....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
magilla
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by magilla »

Thanks Inda.
I didn't notice the stator thread till I'd already posted mine.
I'll let this one ride though in case anyone else has anything useful to contribute.
Michael
00'/01' KX/KDX220R Hybrid
Fredette porting, RB AS carb & RB head, Wiseco, DFIII, Gnarly Rev, TC2, Smart Performance susp.
Mmm... Dirt...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I'm guessing I need some sort of regulator/rectifier?'

The OEM system is a regulated AC setup. No rectifier...no battery. If you're heading toward a battery (one you plan to recharge while the bike is running), you will need regulated DC to do that.

Re: ' Diodes for the LEDs?'

LED lights will run on the OEM regulated AC electrical setup.

Re: 'I'd love to ignore turn signals, but just in case...'

You're not going to have a processor controlled system on the bike...so you're likely stuck with a flasher. The problem with a 'normal' flasher is they 'flash' due to heat generated by the current draw through them. You won't have the current to make it useful. A solid state flasher would be required, something like this.. Notice the input voltage requirement. It doesn't say DC or AC....just 'V'. Before you spent $40 on a non-returnable device, it would be worth asking the seller if it runs on AC or not.

It would be simpler to just buy a known working setup from a lighting outfit...wherever that might come from. I've not seen a 'KDX' listing on the BajaDesigns page 'fer example.

I wanna see someone come up with a multi-pole setup for the KDX..something that will put out a solid 100W (AND not mess with the sparky coil).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!